jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are there any safe levels of alcohol consumption during pregnancy?

1. Joan King profile image72
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

Are there any safe levels of alcohol consumption during pregnancy?

2. the clean life profile image79
    the clean lifeposted 5 years ago

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch ONE DROP of any alcohol during pregnancy and add on no smoking as well.

3. puter_dr profile image86
    puter_drposted 5 years ago

My daughter's doctor told her after the 1st trimester. a glass of wine weekly would be fine.

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't drink knowingly during pregnancy because I saw the effects of FAS with a family member whose mother drank.  That being said, I did have a few drinks before I knew I was pregnant with my second son (he was a surprise) and I really worried perhaps I had unknowingly done damage having those couple of glasses of wine on two different nights, but he turned out beautiful and healthy.   

It's just SO hard to say, some babies turn out fine and other babies end up with FAS when the mom drinks during pregnancy.  It's just not worth the risk in my eyes. I beat myself up for months over those few glasses of wine and I guess that wasn't necessary either, but it's just a risk that is so easy to avoid.

5. Made profile image60
    Madeposted 5 years ago

There are no safe levels. I would never drink alcohol during a pregnancy. NEVER EVER! Read about FAS here: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/fas.html