jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What do you qualify as feminine?

1. DionesiaP profile image61
    DionesiaPposted 22 months ago

What do you qualify as feminine?

I would like to get your different points of views concerning femininity. As a young girl I was never thought how to be feminine since I was brought up by a mother who had to be woman and man at the same time. So, other than having good hygiene which reduced itself to shaving, wearing perfume and having long hair. The concept of "femininity" has always been blurred and now that women are having more freedom in terms of their appearance the concept still very blurred for me. I would like to know what is the Femininity for you, is it an attitude, an appearance or something else?

2. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 22 months ago

Having the female anatomy, including female plumbing.
    A man in a dress dressed up like a 1950s stereotype is not a woman, when he has the male plumbing.

80%+ of transgenders are men, fewer than a quarter have the male organs removed, so most of the "transgender debate is mentally ill men with male organs, hence the controversy.

I will never consider a guy trying to act out the most extreme female stereotypes in clothing, dress and behavior more of a woman than real women.

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 22 months ago

I don't really consider myself to be that feminine and it's not something I was ever taught.  I don't plan on teaching my daughter  to act in ways specific to her being female (except for when she gets her period and needs to start wearing a bra). 

I guess when I hear "feminine" I think of someone in a dress with makeup and perfume on.  But then I can think of people who I view as quite feminine who would still be feminine make-up free and wearing a garbage bag.  And I can think of people who still wouldn't seem terribly feminine with all of that stuff on.  So maybe it's more about a mix of demeanor and physical features.

1. DionesiaP profile image61
      DionesiaPposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for your point of view. If I understand correctly, you think that in terms of femininity, it's either you have it or you don't?

2. Aime F profile image84
      Aime Fposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Not necessarily, I think people can change their demeanor.  But I, for example, don't believe I have a very feminine demeanor naturally. I'm sure I could work to change it, but I don't really care haha.

4. Johnny James A profile image74
    Johnny James Aposted 22 months ago

The concept of Femininity changes over time.  However, being feminine means having qualities traditionally ascribed to women currently.  For many femininity is merely the "qualities" of being feminine which both men and women can have.  For others it also means having the female anatomy, or dressing in traditional female garb. From how I was raised I tend to look at acts like hair flipping, wearing dresses from time to time, being naturally sweet and sensitive, etc.  Even things like having a higher pitched voice I was taught as being more feminine.

working