I was diagnosed with A-typical Shingles. I need more info.

1. profile image58
    Latkeissonposted 14 months ago

I was diagnosed with A-typical Shingles.  I need more info.

2. Natalie Frank profile image97
    Natalie Frankposted 14 months ago

Obviously, the best person to ask about this is your physician.  Whenever seeing your PHP make sure you understand what it is they are telling you, any diagnoses which may have been made, your prognosis, the reasons for the prescribed treatment and how to be compliant with their recommendations and treatment.  If you are unclear on an answer ask again.

When Shingles occurs without a rash it is called “zoster sine herpete” (ZSH). It’s relatively uncommon and tough to diagnose because the characteristic shingles rash isn’t present. The chickenpox virus causes all forms of shingles. This virus is known as varicella zoster virus (VZV). Those who have had chickenpox retain the dormant virus in their nerve cells. It isn't fully known what causes the virus to reactivate and why it only reactivates in certain individuals

The symptoms of ZSH are predominantly the same as what is found in the classical form of the illness but without a rash. The symptoms are generally found only on one side of the body and usually occur on the face and neck, and in the eyes. Symptoms may also involve the internal organs. Typical symptoms include:

•    a painful burning sensation
    •    itchiness
    •    a feeling of numbness
    •    a headache
    •    fatigue
    •    a general achy feeling
    •    pain that radiates from the spine
    •    sensitivity to touch

Those diagnosed with VZV are often treated with antiviral medicines such as acyclovir (Valtrex, Zovirax). They may also be given a prescription for pain medication.Other treatment will vary based on the location and severity of symptoms. Both Shingles with and without a rash usually clear up within two to six weeks. Rarely, the pain can remain after the shingles virus has been treated. This is called postherpetic neuralgia (PHN).  Some research suggests that individuals who have shingles without a rash are more likely to develop PHN than people who have the rash. If you have a weakened immune system and shingles without a rash, you also may be more likely to re-experience shingles.

This is very general information.  Again, speak with your physician to get information specific to your condition and what you can expect.  Only take medical advice from a trained health care professional with the proper credentials who is familiar with you medical history and current condition.

3. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 14 months ago

Like there is no cure. 6-8 weeks you will have it. Could be super mild or really bad. Nothing can do about it now.

But I say to folks everywhere that if you had chickenpox then consider the Shingles Vaccine.

Too bad that although Medicare will pay for a Shingle shot after 70 years old, stats are that 90% of everybody who had chicken pox as a kid will get it BEFORE 70. I got mine at 45. Shingles is not a one time thing. Can get it again. The copay for the Shingles shot under Medicare  is $135, meaning the shot itself probably costs over $500. Whatta racket. Probably run by PharmaBro.

Oh, BTW, even IF get shot - can still get Shingles! (they say it's a milder form tho')