jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think is better for for a baby, pured table food or jar food?

1. profile image60
    sara barrettposted 13 months ago

What do you think is better for for a baby, pured table food or jar food?

I have been hearing a lot about babies should eat what the parents eat and that it's more healthier. Then I hear that babies should eat jar food because parents don't always eat healthy. I want to know what others think. I am open to anything.

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 13 months ago

Fresh food is almost always a better option, for anyone, not just babies.

There are some brands that make jarred baby foods that add sugars and starches, and of course the preservatives added to make sure it has a certain shelf life.

Personally, we never gave our daughter jarred foods or purées.  We did baby led weaning which is essentially just giving your baby small bits of food in its natural form (so small pieces of chicken, whole peas, veggies cut up into small pieces that are easy to grab and don't pose a choking risk).  It was super easy, and my daughter did really well with it. 

While your baby is getting used to eating solids they're still getting a majority of their nutrition from milk, so you don't have to be quite as diligent about making sure everything you offer has certain amounts of nutrients.  It's pretty easy to make sure you always have something like bananas or veggies on hand to offer or include as a part of your meals.

3. WruceBayne profile image48
    WruceBayneposted 13 months ago

Aime is spot on with this one. We are doing the same thing with my daughter right now. She is almost one, but she has not had a lick of jarred baby food at all. She eats most raw veggies, like eggplant, cucumbers, etc. She eats pretty much what we are having, just in bite sized pieces. We have tried to puree some food for her, but she refused to eat it.

1. profile image60
      sara barrettposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Well, I was thinking that. Ty

working