Breast cancer in men

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image56
    fun2hubposted 14 years ago

What percentage of men get breast cancer?

2. Steve 3.0 profile image63
    Steve 3.0posted 14 years ago

I read that it is 100 times more common in women than men on medicinenet, so it is very rare but that can't be much comfort the men who do get it.

3. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

I volunteer for the Red Cross and Ambulance Service.  I take people for their treatment to Radiotherapy.  This is for Cancer Treatment.  In the four years that I have been volunteering 5 days a week, I have only come across one male with breast cancer.  What is even more positive, is that this form of cancer is the no 1 easily treated with great prognosis - survival rates are very high.

I hope this helps! x

1. udderlessgator profile image59
      udderlessgatorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I realize I am replying to an old post, but hopefully those interested are checkinjg for replys. I was diagnosed with male breast cancer in April of 2010 and had a mastectomy in May. I'm curfrently undergoing chemo and my prognosis is excellent. In my case there were no lymph nodes involved, so I dodged a bullit. Spread the word to your friends that men CAN get this disease. Early detection saved me. Check yourselves regularly!

2. profile image53
      blackhawkwomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my husband, doug, had breast cancer in 2001.  it came as quite a shock to our family.  he was having a bloody discharge from his left nipple for 3 months before he approached me with tears in his eyes.

upon going to several surgeons for opinions,  we were met with much fear based haste to make decisions.  one of the options presented to my husband was to remove his testicles.  that wasn't an option on our priority list, and in, fact, even a biopsy was refused by my husband as there is a theory that once the cancer clusters are punctured, wayward cancer cells can travel throughout the body. 

we did a lot of reading and computer research to find answers.  my father bought doug several shipments of appropriate supplements and some of the powdered herbs, graviola and cat's claw.  we got appointments with a D.O. , a chiropractor, an herbalist, and a counselor.  doug started exercizing, eating simply and nutritiously, and meditating.  one of the best resource books we read was susun weed's book, BREAST CANCER? BREAST HEALTH.   susun's book helped him relax, become introspective, and regain health.  she offers an informative description of an anti-cancer lifestyle, what it is to be diagnosed with cancer, explanations of diagnostic procedures, in home treatments as well as treatments offered by the medical establishment.  She outlined 6 steps of healing which empowers the person with cancer to take the course of healing into their own hands.

here is a link to her site if anyone would like to visit:
      http://breasthealthcancerprevention.com/

during this time, we visited a surgeon who specialized in women's  health in the southern part of our state.  she monitored the tumour's size and growth by ultrasound, something that had been discouraged in our own area.  doug gave himself one year to treat the small in situ tumour on his own.  at the end of the year, the cancer had not grown, but doug chose to have the tumour taken from his breast.  he has been cancer free ever since...9 years.

alot of his well-being during that time with cancer he attributes to the philosphy shared in susun weed's book, his relaxed positive outlook, and his ability to not buy into the fear factor.

4. profile image52
    olderNowposted 13 years ago

Hello all.

This is addressed to udderlessgator. It is good to hear that you dodged a bullet.  Had you developed gynecomastia (man boobs) before the breast cancer?  Did your medical team explain what caused the cancer?

I wish you a full and speedy recovery...

Stay healthy, PEACE!

1. udderlessgator profile image59
      udderlessgatorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No gynecomastia. Also they don't know what caused the cancer. I was negative on the test for the dreaded gene mutation which surprised the doctors.  I've got no significant history of cancer in my family and only an aunt and cousin (women) have ever had breast cancer. If I had the same odds for winning the lottery, I might be a rich man by now. Thanks so much for the good wishes. I'm feeling very good about things. My family and friends have the same positive attitude. I've got a lot of spare time on my hands while I'm off work on disability for my chemo therapy, so I'm trying to spend the time spreading the word about male breast cancer. I've also signed up to march in November in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, to raise funds for all types of cancer research. It helps my outlook to stay busy with these kinds of things. Thanks again for your interest.

5. have2write profile image59
    have2writeposted 13 years ago

Go to my first hub called "There is a cure for cancer" which tells all and you will find testimonials from a man who lived for 15 years after doctors sent him home to die with prostate cancer and testimonials about other cancer cures. Please pass the word around. Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)