Has Your Thoughts Have Any Thing To Do With Your Health

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. karobi profile image62
    karobiposted 14 years ago

We have bing hearing that, "as a man thinks. so he will soon become" Does this also applicable to man's health? what do you think?

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your thinking is positive , you'll be healthier than someone who's negative all the time.

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is the basis for the 'secret in action' concept.
      it is said by many throughout history. As a man thinks, he becomes, only because of the thoughts he allows to be active in him -or better said, the manner in which he collects those thoughts to be or do.

the renewing of the mind is for this purpose, to allow the spirit within to set correctly the proper thought processes and bring about mans longevity, health, prosperity, etc. The mind alone cannot do this, since it is collectively a tool, a machine, a database, transmitting information from body to spirit, spirit to body.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe the mind (our thoughts) have much more influence on our health than we could ever imagine. people have worried themselves sick, we know this is true. everything is interrelated. our brain tells our body what to do. if we feed our brain negative thoughts, it affects how we feel. there is much study on this topic. happy people are healthier. try to be sad and happy at the same time, it doesn't work, so at least smile, and keep smiling. you will begin to feel a difference. big_smile

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I do think the power of thinking can effect illness and recovery. I tend to notice when I am stressed and tired a lot I tend to have more accidents, probably part of why I fell down the stairs before christmas and tore a ligament. I also notice that by feeling down and stressed my resistance to the common cold and flu is not great and I can wind up feeling sick, sometimes forcing me to take a much needed break!

3. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Well...Negative thoughts can lead to a depressed mind and body, so I would say yes to some extent. Depression can also make a person stop eating or taking care of themselves. So it was the thoughts that guided the health or lack of. I don't think this is absolute, there are and could be exceptions.

4. Lily Rose profile image87
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

I think, to an extent, that your thoughts do affect your health.  When I was diagnosed with cancer I thought, at times, that I caused it myself by being very stressed - I had two kids under 2 at the time!  I later found out that I'm positive for the  BRCA2 gene mutation, so I was predisposed to get it by heredity.  The stress probably didn't help, though. 

With my kids still being young (3 and 4) I still tend to get stressed out on occassion, and I think to myself that I need to calm down because I get scared that the cancer may come back due to my stress - probably quite a bit of paranoia going on there, but you'd have to be in my shoes to understand.

I understand you ! but try not to think about cancer coming back. Shove it from your mind, and it won't come again.
      If i tell you I haven't been to a doctor in 30 years, would you believe me ?
      I use my mind to keep healthy.

1. Lily Rose profile image87
        Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, Tantrum!  I do try and shove the thoughts out as quickly as they come in - I just can't live like that.  But I'll always have that fear, especially since my mom is currently going through it for her second time - BUT she wasn't as aggressive with her treatments the first time around because no one knew about BRCA back then...

Well, if you really believe in you, and shove dark thoughts behind, you'll see your life will be much better. Your health as well smile

kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know tantrum, I tend to believe you! You are a spicy personality here on the forums and seem to have strong ideas in how you think, not easily persuaded to change your beliefs or be emotionally drawn into the drama that can be found here. I can see you deciding to be healthy and not being persuaded to worry about your health or doubt your ability to treat any small illness/injury without the aid of a 'professional'.

Thanks Kirsten for your words. I'm a very positive person in my 'real' life, and I try to reflect that here in my 'virtual 'life' big_smile

1. kirstenblog profile image78

It's just how I see you, from the perspective of forum posts mostly smile. I do not always agree with something you say but thats just how it is. If I had to agree with everything a person says to like them then I would be plotting the destruction of the human race right now lol as I would hate everyone for something said that I thought was stupid tongue
            What I respect is how you don't get involved emotionally while in an argument over religion or politics, others do and when they do you just laugh! You know that that drives them right up the wall right? lol roll

sorry for the hijack btw big_smile
            I shall discontinue the hijack now lol tongue

lol
              their problem! I keep on smiling ! big_smile

3. karobi profile image62
        karobiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

tantum, it is nice to hear this testimony for 30yrs now, i am happy because the human mind is the greatest tool being given to man but really used to it's maximum pontential. thanks

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Hi everyone, I believe in what Tantrum said about being possitive, like T, I have never been to a doctor since I was 8, except for prenatal and giving birth--

of course a little bit of caution and living healthy is also good

Yes. I only went for giving birth and a couple of times more. One for an allergic thing, to get a shot, and other becuase I didn't feel well and I didn't know what was happening.

6. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Hmmm

How is it possible to help keep your body in good health simply from corrective thinking if the cells don't have a level of consciousness?

7. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

When I was struggling with self harm and depression one of the skills I was told to use was 'opposite to emotion action' and basically was told to smile when I felt shitty. The idea being that when you smile there is a physiological, chemical reaction in the brain to produce happy chemicals associated in the brain with the flexing of muscles that produce a smile. It felt really stupid at first but the logic is sound and over time it has worked. I feel that I have re-wired my brain to react differently to situations then how I reacted before.

What you are it's in your mind. Your mind is you. And your feelings govern your body. If you're down, your body defenses are down as well, and you get ill.

It's a strange kind of thing. I still have old faded scars on my arms and when/if someone sees them they are perplexed and ask how they got there. When I tell them about my past no one believes it! I am a totally different person today then I was when I was putting myself through that crap. Its like I am the exact opposite to that other person yikes. These days I live for today and trust myself to handle whatever the future may hold and I see a hell of a lot of good stuff in my future that will happen because I am taking the actions today smile

Good for you ! Life is too short to waste it crying !

Life is too short to waste it! Too true! My adopted mom used to say that all the time and I never 'got' it, now I don't get how people don't get it! lol

As they say, if you have a problem that can be solved why worry about it, just solve it instead.
            If you have a problem that can't be solved why worry about it, you can't solve it?!

Recently my hubby practically had a panic attack over paperwork, I don't blame him as I hate bloody paperwork and with his dyslexia it must be doubly difficult. That said I have to say I was not impressed roll
            It's not like I wont help him with important paperwork (around my jobs of course)
            Panicking wont make it go away or get it done any faster

Better to make a plan to get it done and then follow that plan even if that means waiting until I am finished at work for the day

Funny thing is that the saying I used above is his favorite yet he worries about stuff he can't do a damned thing about and worries instead of taking action with many things and even invents problems to worry about that just don't bloody exist! I love him but think he is the dumbest smart person I know roll

I totaly agree with you but I will add this saying to it, "a problem that doesn't have a solution, is no longer a problem" because prblems are meant to be solved so if it decided not to have solution then its' no longer a problem.

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
                ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting point... you've given me something to think about.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I agree with tantrum. if you google are happy people healtheir, or related search words, you will find lots of studies.  there has even been the 'happiness project' study. I take no medications, go for check ups yearly, but most of all, I am happy and content in whatever situation life throws me, and take action to change if I can change it.

last night I thought of an idea for a hub. I was fixing dinner and the thought came to me of how many people are always 'wishing' for something better in their lives, missing their own lives now. life will pass by with no happiness?  I think happiness can be found in many ways, it doesn't have to be bigger or better or cost money.

so true !

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

Hijacking a bit here, but this made me think of one of my favorite quotes.  I keep it posted at my desk so that I remember its lesson... I used to get myself so worked up about the "whatifs", I felt I needed a reminder.  Its a bit lengthy if you'll indulge me...

"for a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. at last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. this perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness.  happiness is the way. so treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. happiness is a journey, not a destination..."
                -souza

9. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

I agree w/ just about everything posted so far.  (How often do I get to write THAT in a forum lol lol ??)

I think we are naive to believe we understand the mind's total influence on the body.  There's much we can achieve through a happy and positive outlook on life. 

Lily - You keep beating back those thoughts! A lot of newer cancer treatments are integrating healthy lifestyle, diet, meditation and positive thinking into their regimens.  Keep fighting the fight girl!  And, thoughts and prayers (and positive energy!) to your mom as well.  My mother is a survivor as well.

1. Lily Rose profile image87
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, ThoughtfulSpot!  BTW, I like your quote a lot - copied it!

Glad you like it.  It keeps me grounded some days.
        BTW - I have a 5yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old.  I may not be able to completely identify w/ your situation, but I know your exhaustion! big_smile

10. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Teach him ! big_smile

I wonder if that is why we found each other, he has inspired some pretty good changes in me already, maybe now its his turn big_smile

That's great Kirsten.  I think its really important to grow as a couple.  Geez, now I'm REALLY getting confused... there was another thread I was going to post something similar to.

Someone mentioned "changing" or "fixing" guys vs. being happy with them, and I wanted to interject that, I don't think you should aim to "change" anyone, or be satisfied to settle.  If 2 people love and respect each other, I think its natural that change will happen organically as they learn from and with each other.

11. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

lol lol I've had the same thought many times!

all men tend to be dumb smart ! lol

Maybe we should move this over to Steven's thread... I'm starting to get confused.  All the discussions this morning seem to be headed in the same direction. lol big_smile

I suspect its directly proportional too, the smarter they are the dumber they are lol

12. thesailor profile image67
    thesailorposted 14 years ago

Yes, I believe it's true. Partly. because  accidents are just around our fingertips. There are things that happened suddenly, but you're not thinking about  it. To avoid thinking too much of many imperfections in this world that may affect our health, why not channel it to a good, money-generating outlet? That's how HubPages help each and everyone of us who are always worrying to generate more income for our family.

Do you remember the story of Job in the Bible in Job 3: 25, For the thing which I greatly fear comes upon me, and that of which I am afraid befalls me. so we must try to channel our thoughts properly to achieve our desire expectation

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)