Diazepam

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

Has anyone had any experience of taking diazepam?  I have read that they are very addictive in a very short time, so cannot understand why doctors are still prescribing them.  On the other hand, I have spoken to a woman who had them for three years, and stopped them cold turkey without any problems.  I have also read about a woman who has been taking them since 1973 without any problems.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure.
      Diazapam is valium.
      It's incredible stuff.
      It is addictive.

it has an amazing ability to calm ya down, reduce anxiety and depression.

I use it seldom.

When I do I buy the 10 mg pill and break it into quarters.

I wouldn't take 'em regularly unless Dr. advised.

When I feel I need to get some sleep or get a little anxious about sumthin', I take one 2 1/2 mg segment. that gets the job done for me.

5 or 10 mgs would render me useless...lol You could tell me you were going to behead me and I'd smile and tell ya to "go for it" with a big smile on my face....smile:

It's a wonderful drug if used right!

Qwark

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

as long as it is used to assist with finding the problem that created the need ofr the drug, then probly ok, but to many doctors just hand out a perscription, un-checked. So in that case it is abusing the drug, not fixing the problem.

2. njmanura profile image88
    njmanuraposted 12 years ago

Diazepam is a long acting benzodiazepine. It can be used to calm you down and to induce sleep. But you may need increasing amounts as time goes by to get the same effect. If you take it for years and then stopped suddenly, then may experience withdrawal symptoms. E.g. Insomnia, tremors ataxia, sweating, hallucinations.
    sleep induced by diazepam cannit compare to natural sleep but it can calm you  down and reduce anxiety. Even i used xanax during a viva exam to reduce tension.
    But it is not recommended to use it for than three months. But on and off use can have minimal problems.
    Hope this helps
    Manura

3. samofahmy profile image58
    samofahmyposted 12 years ago

Diazepam is a sedative which may cause you to be drug dependent if used for a long time. mostly it is precribed for short durations to relieve stress and anxiety. but it can also be prescribed for long term therapy in some psychological problems such as resistant anxiety disorders and panic disorders.
    its effect and dose of dependency like many other drugs  variable from one individual and another

4. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I found it very helpful after my spouse passed away. I had loads of anxiety and couldn't relax or sleep much. It made the situation less overwhelming. They are very easy to get addicted to, but if used as directed, sparingly, and with open-eyes, it is an outstanding tool.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I once asked my doctor for a course of valium to help me sleep while going through a difficult time in my life, and he refused to give me them.

Valium while useful in some situations and for some conditions is not a cure-all.

Genuine crisises (crises?) in one's life is reason for one or two doses only, not even a week's supply. Reality has to be faced up to, in order for us to overcome grief and move forward.
      Ans we do move forward. We hurt and that is natural. Nothing can take that pain of loss away.

There are many people today prescribed repeat prescriptions for Valium when they don't actually need it, but are addicted to it in the sense that they need it just to feel normal.

Withdrawal from the drug has to be accomplished slowly to avoid devastating side-effects.

1. profile image0
        Muldanianmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been taking them for a week now, but am not going to take one tonight. I have already cut it down to 2mg at night.  So I am hoping that I will not have become addicted in this short time.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well you never said what caused your pain, and I am not asking, because that is personal, but whatever it is will still hurt tomorrow and the day after that again ad continum, but drugs will not cure it.

Time will. Slowly and surely you will gain acceptance and one day you will awaken and probably not even notice that the pain has lifted a little.

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Any of the 'pams are good muscle relaxation drugs.

I take 2X10 milligrams to unlock back muscle when they go in to spasm.

They are dangerously addictive and can cause anxiety as well as relieve it.

I need to take diazepam about twice a year in a single large dose followed my deep tissue massage. Very useful, but a truly terrifying drug to get hooked on in my opinion. smile

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Diazapam is only one of a group of successful benzodiazipines that have changed our lives.

There was another more recent one, whose name escapes me at the moment, who many more people are addicted to.

It first came to my attention about 18 years ago, when a friend of mine was put on it while suffering post-natal depression.

It worked, as it replaced a hormone or substance missing from the body, but 2 years later this woman wanted her life back and couldn't get it because she was dependant on those pills.

Doctors seem to find it easier to prescribe than to help people come off them again.

My manic-depressive friend here is on them too. I didn't even know she was manic-depressive till she told me, so good are those pills.

But she decided (on her own) to come off then overnight and I watched her flip out.

She went against her doctor's advice, she went against my advice, and if she was mis-diagnosed before, she isn't now.

Did she have manic-depression, or did the drugs cause it? As a trained nurse I have always had trouble understanding labels being put on people. Most psychiatric illnesses are only an extension of what is normal. None of us are normal. What is normal?

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Benzos are definitely addictive -- you get hooked before you realize it. And the withdrawal, unless tapered off very, very slowly, can be worse than heroin.
    So best to use only sparingly and short-term. They are NOT intended for long-term use.
    Having said that, benzos for some people are the only thing that works on their anxiety. Although doctors these days push antidepressants as the wonder drug that supposedly also works for anxiety, people I've known who don't have depression but only anxiety disorders don't do well with Prozac or Celexa or any of the SSRIs that (IMHO) are handed out like candy by primary care physicians who have NO business prescribing them.
    Don't even get me started!

You are wise to keep your intake of Valium limited.
    Whatever your need for it, Muldanianman, I hope you feel better soon through alternative means!! MM

1. IzzyM profile image86

PROZAC! That is the name of the so-called wonder drug I mentioned in my posts.

Great for a while, then it pulls you into its dark underworld.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh no! Not the "P" word!!!
        Prozac's dark underworld starts almost immediately for some people.
        It is downright dangerous for teens/young adults. Side effects really do include suicidal thoughts.

Given the choice between a nice, mellow Valium haze and a life-numbing, sex-life killing antidepressant... I'd go for Valium every time. But of course it doesn't do the same thing as the SSRIs.

2. iyoung03 profile image72
      iyoung03posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have taken Benzos in the past for anxiety and have been able to stop w/o any problem or withdrawal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)