jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Wal-Mart plans simple label to identify healthier foods

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Wal-Mart plans simple label to identify healthier foods
    By Allison Linn

Wal-Mart is unveiling a simple icon that it says will help consumers make a snap decision about whether a food is healthy, without delving into the nitty-gritty of the nutrition label.

The move by the nation's biggest retailer to label some food products as "Great For You," being unveiled Tuesday, could be a significant development in the fight against obesity because of the company's enormous influence in the marketplace, over both consumers and food vendors eager to sell into the Wal-Mart supply chain.
    http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 … hier-foods
    well this is a step in the right direction

1. Kelley Eidem profile image83
      Kelley Eidemposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, at the very least it would mean to ignore any foods that didn't have that label - except chocolate. ;-)

2. couturepopcafe profile image62
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't trust Wal-Mart's judgment for a minute as to what they will consider healthy food. No big deal if they put a label on an orange but they're more likely to label as good food something like a granola bar full of air, processed grains, sugared raisins and hydrogenated fat.

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yup, this.

2. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 5 years ago

I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart in the least, but I like this idea-- provided the labels are indeed correct. But what constitutes 'healthy' persay? Does a "Great for you" food item have tons of preservatives? Is it high in chemicals but low in calories? If the items is indeed healthy for you in every positive aspect, then I say this is a good idea that other grocery stores should take into consideration.

1. couturepopcafe profile image62

Per Se. Just a note. Love ya, girl.

1. Shanna11 profile image91
        Shanna11posted 5 years ago in reply to this

D: I've been writing that wrong for my entire life. I'm so embarrassed. Haha, thank you!

No problem. Per se, a Latin phrase meaning "in itself".  Actually the S is not capitalized and neither is the P unless it's at the beginning of a sentence.

3. American View profile image55
    American Viewposted 5 years ago

Do not think WalMart is doing this for the good of all of us. It is clearly a marketing strategy not only to sell higher priced products to make more money, but to get themselves on the good side of the Whitehouse. I am an extremely healthy eater. I do not need a label to tell me what is healthy or not. Not to mention some of the "healthy" foods are not healthy for you so one has to be careful about what they will be labeling.

Bingo!

4. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/greatforyou.380;380;7;70.JPG

I can smell the consumer advocates champing at the bit on this one.

5. profile image66
    SanXuaryposted 5 years ago

Its just another add campaign to convince you that eating crap, especially there crap is healthy. When they get something healthy in there store maybe they might have a reason for a label. I eat a mostly vegan diet and they have few products that I would call healthy and yes I have checked. In fact they have mostly the same products just like all the rest of them, so what would be healthy besides the obvious. A big fat healthy label on a bag of lettuce perhaps? I will wait and go check it out before I judge it completely. My observation is that very few products should have this label. They should be whole foods with no preservatives, additives, artificial sweetness and not have crap like high corn fructose and such in them. Hopefully this Hub will still be up when they actually make this happen.

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this
  6. profile image66
    SanXuaryposted 5 years ago

Coming from the FDA is their first problem. Such standards are bought and owned by the people who make the food and even the board is made up of such people employed previously by them. If this is their standard they might as well place stickers on everything every where. Its just an add campaign just like their eco movement that ended in about a month last year. In six months what will they come up with next? Any real change requires a radical new look and changes. I would post some ideas but I really have no reason to like Walmart and would rather give my ideas to something honourable. Until Christmas I actually had not spent a dime at their store in four years. Adding what I once spent I figured they lost around 4 thousand or more dollars a year from me each year I never shopped there.

working