ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How Much Protein In An Egg?

Updated on October 5, 2015

How Much Protein In An Egg

There are a few naturally occurring substances that are termed complete diet by researchers and nutritionists and consumption of these substances is required for optimum growth and health. One of these naturally occurring substances is egg. Eggs mostly consumed by most individuals throughout the world are the eggs of chicken; however people also consume eggs of ducks, quills and other birds.

Nature has programmed the body in such a way that most proteins can be synthesized within the body using cellular machinery and building blocks from the dietary sources or enzymatic action of hormones, however there are some essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are those building blocks of proteins that are not synthesized within the body and thus must be acquired from external dietary means. Eggs can provide you with this essential nutrition, and be a vital part of your every day diet.


Parts Of An Egg

We all know the three main parts of the egg:

  • Eggshell that makes outermost covering which protects the content from outside environment and gives a little protection from physical and chemical agents.
  • Egg white that surrounds egg yolk and is gelatinous in consistency.
  • Egg yolk is a circular concentrated mass that does not mix with egg white and has the properties of a nucleus.
  • An egg contains all essential amino acids required by the body, and so it is because of this it serves as excellent first semi solid food to growing babies at the time of weaning. It's also a sensible option for vegetarians or people looking to cut down on meat consumption.
  • The total protein content of an average sized egg is 6.5g, out if which egg white has 3.6 g and rest is concentrated in egg yolk.

Whipped egg whites
Whipped egg whites | Source

Egg White

Egg white, know as the albumin or the glair/glaire, is mainly an aqueous base that surround egg yolk. The purpose of egg white is to provide nourishment, strength and protection to developing embryo when an egg has been fertilized.

Proportion of essential amino acids:

The egg white is mostly composed of water (about 90%) that comes from secretions of the genital organs of the mother (i.e. chicken). The remaining 10% is composed of different proteins, carbohydrate and vitamins. According to a number of studies, it has been proved that there are almost 40 different types of protein in the egg white. These include ovalbumin that is highest in terms of percentage, seconded by ovotransferin, ovomucoid and ovogloulin.


Egg Yolk

Egg yolk is the main product of an egg. It has proteins and in addition large amounts of cholesterol too that is absent in egg white. Phosvitins is the most prominent protein present in egg yolk.

Egg yolk contains 2.6 grams of proteins.


Eggs form the most important constituent of breakfast all over the world. Cooking protocols vary from place to place, however due to increasing trends of weight loss and dieting, most people avoid the consumption of egg yolk. It is beyond doubt that egg yolk is rich in cholesterol and is not good for patients suffering from cardiovascular ailments. However, all the people who avoid eggs for dieting or weight loss purpose must know what you might be missing by not consuming egg yolk. As long as the yolk would fall within your daily recommended limits for fat and cholesterol, an egg with the yolk intact may be a better choice than most meats.


Additional Health Information


Calories in egg white are 17, whereas in egg yolks are 59.


Total amount of fat in grams as calculated by a number of nutritionists is 6 grams for each egg white and 4.51 grams for each egg yolk. Saturated fat content is nil in egg whites whereas 1.6 grams in egg yolk.


Egg is not a great source of carbohydrates. Egg white contains 0.24 grams of carbohydrates, whereas egg yolk contains 0.61 grams.


As known by most, egg white has literally no cholesterol whereas egg yolk contains 180-251 milligrams of cholesterol in one egg.


Egg is also a good source of various electrolytes and rich in sodium, calcium and vitamin D. Egg white contains 55mg of sodium as opposed to 8 mg of sodium in egg yolk.

Egg white has 2.3 mg and egg yolk contains 21.9 mg of calcium.

Vitamin D is present only in egg yolk of about 18 IU. Other vitamins like Vit. A, E and K are also present in egg yolk.

In the light of all these findings, it is therefore advised to consume at least one egg a day in order to have all essential nutrients.

NC Egg Nutrition


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.