- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Fun Things To Do with Dad or for Your Dad on Father's Day
A Father's Love
Honor Dad With Recognition
Father's Day is the perfect time to honor dad by showing the world how much he's appreciated. Let everyone know your dad is the best!
Here are some ideas to give dad some praise and recognition:
- Make a bright sign or banner to place outside the house that says, "World's best dad lives here" or "Home of world's best dad."
- Make a bright sign or write on his car, "Property of world's best dad" or "This car belongs to world's best dad."
- Make a shirt for dad that says, "Proud to be world's best dad."
- Make shirts for the kids that say "My dad is the best" or "Child of the world's best dad."
- Design a baseball cap that says, "World's best dad."
- Make a button that says, "Best dad, " "Award for best dad," or "Super dad."
- Order him a plaque, trophy or medal to make him feel even more honored.
Father's Day Gift Ideas
Sign for "World's Best Dad"
Let Dad Party!
It's Dad's day to be the center of attention and what better way to do that than to throw him a "Father's Day" Party?
Here are some fun party ideas your Dad may like:
- Have a barbecue and don't let dad do any of the grilling. This is a great idea to do with other dads, family, friends and neighbors. It can be a potluck so everyone brings their share. Play sports or games outside if dad enjoys doing that.
- Have a breakfast party. If dad's favorite meal of the day is breakfast, why not have a party that serves all of his favorite breakfast dishes?
- Have a dessert party if dad has a sweet tooth. Have a candy/dessert bar with all of his favorite candy. Serve his favorite ice cream at the party with a variety of toppings he can choose to top off his dessert. Bake his favorite cake or other dessert he enjoys.
- Don't forget to let dad watch his favorite movie(s) during the party!
- The kids can also act out a play showing why the favorite things they love about dad and act it out or it can be a comedy and they can act out all of dad's funny (or annoying) habits.
- Let the kids sing or have a concert for dad using instruments or household items you have that can "make" music.
- Is dad king of the castle at your house? Have a "Dad is King" party where he'll be treated like royalty. Roll out a red carpet for him and signal his entrance by blowing some party horns. Drop a bag of confetti on him or release some balloons around him. Let him feast on his favorite food and relax while he gets the royal treatment with things like foot rub and back massage, Have the kids make him a crown to wear.
- Is dad more like a superhero? Have a "Superhero" party including a cape for dad, maybe a mask, a superhero cake, watch his favorite superhero cartoon or movie and play some games. Maybe everyone can dress up in costumes? Buy him some comic books to add to his collection if he reads comics. Print out comic book covers to hang around the house for decoration. You can print out a comic book cover on edible printing paper and place it on the cake, too.
- Is dad a sports fan? Have a party with a "sports theme" and don't forget to award him a trophy, plaque or medal. Take him to an open field for the party and play his favorite sport with him. Sign a ball or bat that says it belongs to world's best dad.
- Don't forget the music!
- Decorate a cake that says, "Best Dad"
- Make a poster or large card that says, "Happy Father's Day" or "You're the Best Dad." Put the kids' hand prints on it or stick some of their pictures with dad on it.
- Make a banner for the party.
- Get decorations to make the party feel more festive including balloons and confetti.
- After the party, give dad a "bath" outside. Let the kids hose him down or throw water balloons at him.
Father's Day Shirt
Father's Day Gifts That He Will Appreciate
Sometimes, dads can be tricky to get a gift for especially if they don't let you in on what they would like as gifts.
Here are some gift ideas you can buy or do for dad that he will appreciate:
- Wash his car. This will be fun for the kids to help out with.
- Do his usual chores around the house for him.
- Make a coupon book that he can redeem throughout the year. Include coupons like making his favorite dish or meal, father-kid outing, volunteering to do his chores, back or foot massage, letting him pick the movie, watching his TV show of choice, his turn to choose the family activity, breakfast in bed and a blank coupon so he can write in a wish of his choice.
- Make a candy bouquet with his favorite candy bars or sweets.
- Package all of his favorite baked goods together like cookies or brownies.
- Is dad a fan of popcorn? Get him different flavored popcorn and add in his favorite movie or include a gift card for movie tickets.
- Maybe dad likes beer? Gift him his favorite beer along with a personalized beer mug.
- Or get him a personalized flask or shot glass with his favorite liquor bottle.
- Buy him work tools.
- Buy him new shoes. Include a sweet card or note that says, "I'll always want to walk next to you" (for a spouse/partner) or if he has a son, a note that says, "I hope our son follows in your foot steps,"
- Let the kids make a big button that says, "Happy Father's Day," "Best Dad Award," "World's Best Dad," or "Super Dad" Or they can draw a picture on it of dad and them.
- Get him some new tech gadgets if he's into the tech stuff.
- Get him an eye mask and new pillow or a personalized pillowcase. Surprise him with a Father's Day book from the kids under his pillow.
- Have the kids draw a picture of write a poem or story for dad.
- Interview the kids about dad and their favorite things about him. Write it down and give it to him or record them talking about him and let him watch it.
Places To Take Dad
There's plenty to do on Father's Day if dad wants to celebrate outside of the house. It's the perfect time to spend the day with the family and kids.
Here are some ideas for places dad may enjoy:
- Take dad to the park and play sports with him, grill out, have a picnic or a party there.
- Get him golf clubs and take him to a golfing range. There may be specials for dads on Father's Day.
- Take him fishing if he likes to fish and maybe a new fishing pole or personalized fishing hat.
- Go to the beach if he enjoys the water. Stock a pail with a shovel, sunscreen, a book he would like if he likes to read and some bubbles. He can make sand castles and blow bubbles with the kids.
- Take him to the movies if there's a movie he has been wanting to see.
- Take him on a shopping trip if needs new clothes.
- Take him to the zoo. Many zoos offer free or discounted admission for dads on Father's Day.
- Take him to the aquarium.
- Take him to a theme park.
- Take him camping.
- Treat him out to dessert at an ice cream shop or for frozen yogurt, bakery or candy store.
- Feed him at his favorite restaurant or a restaurant he has been wanting to try.
Things To Do To Make Dad Feel Loved
What are your favorite things to do with your dad?
Father's Day Facts and History
According to the Census Bureau in their article, Facts for Features: Father's Day: June 16, 2013:
- First presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father's Day.
- In 1972, President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made Father's Day a permanent annual celebration.
- An estimated 70.1 million fathers across the nation in 2008
- An estimated 189,000 stay-at-home dads in 2012.
Also, according to Chiff.com in Father's Day Fun Facts & Trivia- Chiff:
- Sonora Dodd of Spokane, Washington came up with the idea of Father's Day in 1909 while listening to a Mother's Day sermon. She wanted to honor her own father, William Smart.
- Roses are the official flowers for Father's Day; red for living dads, white for deceased dads.
This is a wonderful time to celebrate and honor the dad(s) in your life. Happy Father's Day to all the loving dads out there!
What are your plans for Father's Day? What's your favorite thing to do for dad or do you have a memorable Father's Day memory? Share in the comments below!
Visit some of my other posts for more ideas and activities:
- Coffee Cake with White Chocolate Mocha Icing
Coffee is a popular beverage, commonly used as a stimulant. It helps us stay more alert and awake. In this recipe, coffee is mixed into vanilla cake and topped off with white chocolate mocha icing.
- Fun Things to do to Celebrate Mother's Day
Mother's Day is coming up fast. Do you have a plan or do you need more ideas to celebrate Mom's special day? Check out these suggestions for things to do that Mom will appreciate.
- B is for...: Bring on the fun for Father's Day
Also, if you live near Jacksonville, FL, this post has some fun ideas on places to take Dad including free hot air balloon ride on Saturday and free golfing Sunday.