- Holidays and Celebrations
A Fun Christmas Holiday Scavenger Hunt
The holidays are a great time to get out of the house and ride around looking at Christmas lights and Christmas displays. In Texas, we believe in doing it up in a big way.
I have put on several Scavenger Hunts for my daughter and her friends and have always found them to be a lot of fun. I thought it would be fun to create a Holiday Scavenger Hunt where I could combine going out looking at Christmas lights with hunting for items.
I have made a list of situations to look for that you can check off when riding around at lights and a list of items to find. The situations are where you are looking for a house that has a specific item on the list. You can simply check it off or write down the address next to the item.
You can do this is several different ways. You can compete against one or more other groups in a separate vehicles or it can simply be something you do on your own with friends or family just for fun.
Whichever way you decide, print out this list and head out for some holiday fun. Please remember to buckle up and drive safely.
Checklist of Items to Find When Riding Around Looking at Lights or Searching for Scavenger List Items
Find a house with:
- More than 5 reindeer
- Has a nativity scene that includes a camel
- Used only white lights
- Has more than one artificial Christmas tree set up in their yard
- Their mailbox is decorated for Christmas
- Blue icicle lights
- Santa on the roof of their house
- More than three inflatable Christmas decorations in their yard
- An aluminum Christmas tree
- A white Christmas tree
- At least 3 candy canes in their yard
- Decorated their TV satellite dish or TV antenna
- Both Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus
- Santa holding a bag of toys
- An angel singing
- Electric candles with the orange flame bulb in at least two windows
- Wrapped the trunk of more than one tree in their yard with lights
- A nativity scene with one of the three main characters missing (Joseph, Mary, baby Jesus)
- More than two Disney characters
- A vehicle with an artificial wreath wired to the front grill
- Christmas music playing for sightseers
- A star on the roof
- A nativity scene with real hay
- (For those playing in Texas)Simulated snow in some way
- A wreath on their front door
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Snowman with a top hat
- At least two decorations that have movement
- (For those playing in Texas) Has the words "Merry Christmas Y'all" displayed somewhere
- Group of carolers dressed in Victorian attire
- A decorated detached garage
- A nativity scene with all 3 kings
- Santa riding on anything except a sleigh
- The Grinch
- Decorated and with a "For Sale" sign
- Spelled something in lights
- Has something misspelled in their decorations
- More than two elves
- Lights that twinkle
- Lights that are set on chaser mode
- Lights are set so that entire strands of lights go off at the same time
- Noticeable missing bulbs in light strands
- Nativity scene is illuminated either by a floodlight or by each character having it's own light
- Sidewalk to front door is lined on both sides with lights
- Something wearing a Santa hat that you wouldn't expect to
- A house with no lights with a house on both sides have lights
Items to Find on Your Holiday Scavenger Hunt
- Something wooden
- One artificial flower from a poinsettia
- White, green or red button
- Something old
- See if you can name all of Santa's reindeer
- A sprig of real mistletoe (be careful-skip if small children or pets are involved)
- A photo of something Christmasy
- Something in black and white print
- A white birthday candle
- A small piece of Christmas wrapping paper
- Any type of hair accessory
- One Christmas bulb
- One gold Christmas ball ornament
- Paper cup with something Christmasy on it
- Green rubberband
- Piece of lace at least 2 inches long
- A Christmas card
- Sing a couple rounds of Jingle Bells
- Piece of string at least 6 inches long
- Any size battery
- Book of matches
- Napkin with a logo
- Find a Salvation Army bell-ringer and donate some money
- Either a red or green Crayon
- Packet of ketchup or hot sauce
- Salt or Pepper
- Red straw
- Small toy
- The names of 3 Christmas songs
- Something broken
- A peppermint candy cane
- Do at least one good deed while you're out
More Christmas-Related Articles by KCC Big Country
- Great Recipes for Christmas
It's that time of year when we're invited to Christmas parties and holiday celebrations. Are you tired of taking the same old thing? Do you want something simple you can whip up in one bowl? I have...
- Getting into the Christmas Mood
Christmas Garland Christmas is nearing and we're beginning to see signs of it everywhere. City workers are draping greenery interwoven with big red bows and gold and silver ornaments around every lamppost...
- Christmas Songs to Put You in the Christmas Mood
Christmas Music Nothing puts me in the Christmas spirit, or a festive mood, quicker than listening to Christmas music. There are so many wonderful Christmas songs performed by a variety of talented artists....
- Christmas Decorating with Christmas Wall Switch Plates
With Christmas just around the corner, many people begin to climb up into the attic Thanksgiving weekend and pull down all of the Christmas decorations. There's a decorating idea that many of you have...
- Christmas Shopping Safety
Christmas Shopping (Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons) With Black Friday just around the corner, it's that time of year when everyone is heading to the malls and shops to buy Christmas gifts. Crime seems to...
- Christmas Decorating with Outdoor LED Christmas Lights
I remember when I was a child, around mid November my mother would dig out her boxes of outdoor Christmas lights. She had strands and strands of colored strings of lights and yes, like most people, they...
- Gift Cards Make Great Christmas Gifts & Stocking Stuffers
It seems that every person has at least one person on their gift list that they have no idea what to get them. You know the type. Either they have everything they ever wanted or they are incredibly...
- Stocking Stuffer Ideas for the Whole Family
Christmas stockings should be filled with things that make the recipient squeal with delight on Christmas morning. I appreciate "tradition" but I like creating my own traditions. Stockings were always hung...
- Tropical Christmas
Tropical Santa I've lived in Texas all my life so it's hard for me to imagine what it's like to experience a white Christmas. Someday, I hope to travel somewhere snowy for Christmas just to see what it's...
- An Organized Christmas Begins NOW
Did you know there are websites to help you plan and organize your Christmas holidays? Guess when the organized begin getting ready for Christmas? September 1st is when they recommend you begin getting...
- Tips for Decorating a Christmas Tree
Christmas Tree In America, Thanksgiving weekend is traditionally a big weekend for decorating a Christmas tree. Families all over America are climbing up into the attic or into the storage shed retrieving...
- Christmas Card Holder
Any day now you'll be getting your first Christmas card. Where are you going to display it? Do you a special holder for your Christmas cards? When I was growing up, we lived in a very small house and there...