- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
When Is Fathers Day 2014?
"Fatherhood is pretending
the present you love most
is soap-on-a-rope" - Bill Cosby
Fathers Day 2014 is Sunday, June 15th in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.
Fathers Day is the day to celebrate the contribution that our fathers have made to our lives and everything they do, and have done, to support us. As with many of these 'Hallmark' holidays, it is traditional to send cards and give gifts to show our appreciation.
So what kind of gift does a father want? And why is it different from any other gift?
As a father of three, I think I speak for many fathers when I say that the greatest gift a dad can receive is to spend time with their children.
When the kids are young, they have no money to buy a gift, so it is the thought that counts - the home made Fathers Day cards, the hand-crafted gifts, the big sloppy kisses.
And, as they get older, it's spending time together, whether playing golf, throwing a football, or just having a drink together.
'When is Fathers Day 2014?' will help you to discover things you can do with Dad on Fathers Day - family outings, life experiences, favourite movies, Fathers Day quotes, Fathers Day gift ideas and more!
Fathers Day is a Special Day for Families!
Here are some suggestions for activities that you can do with Dad on Fathers Day 2014:
A family outing to his favourite place:
- Animal park, zoo, bird reserve
- Motor sports: Car rally, stock-cars, Indy race, motorcross, motorbike race.
- Aviation-related: Airshow, aviation museum, war museum
- Museum, art gallery, science centre
- Sporting event: Take Dad to watch his favourite sports event such as basketball, football, baseball, golf or even horse racing!
- Boat, Fishing or Hunting Shows
- Restaurants: Any of Dad's favourite restaurants: Applebee's, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Boston Pizza, The Keg, Hooters or just about anywhere that sells steaks, wings and beer!
Give Dad a gift card to his favourite restaurant so he can treat the whole family!
Life Experiences for Dad on Fathers Day
If you want to spend a little more money and do something really special, then you can look at some life experiences, such as:
- Introductory Flying Lesson: The perfect gift for a Dad who has never flown but has always wanted to experience the thrill of flying a plane!
- Shooting Range: Most men like to fire guns so treat Dad to an afternoon at the shooting range, shooting skeet or clay pigeons.
- Play Golf: There's no better way to bond than spending four or five hours together on the golf course. Or, if Dad's game is a little rusty, how about a private golf lesson from a pro!
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: A thrill of a lifetime and a great opportunity to spend time together while floating high above local landmarks.
- Tour of a Brewery or Distillery: If there are no youngsters in your party, then a visit to a brewery or distillery is a great way for Fathers and Sons to spend time together.
Favorite Movies For Fathers Day
Here are some classic movies to watch with Dad on Fathers Day:
- Field of Dreams: Kevin Costner builds a magical baseball diamond that allows him to play ball with his dead father - guaranteed to bring a lump to your throat!
- The Great Escape: Steve McQueen in this classic war story about escape from a prisoner of war camp.
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Clint Eastwood at his very best in this spaghetti western.
- Jaws: Most fathers love to fish, and this is the biggest fish tale of all. Remind yourself why you never want to swim in the ocean again!
- The Bridge On The River Kwai: Another classic war movie with a catchy whistling tune to boot!
- Independence Day: Everyone loves a good shoot-em-up movie, particularly if it involves spaceships and aliens!
- Speed: Bombs, speeding buses, hostages, out-of-control trains and Sandra Bullock - the perfect film.
Fathers Day Quotes
No Fathers Day celebration is complete without sending a Fathers Day card or eCard. And, for that personal touch, try adding one of the Fathers Day Quotes below:
- Thank you for giving me the finer things in life … your time, your care, your love. Happy Fathers Day
- Your life … has made such a wonderful difference in mine. Happy Fathers Day
- With loving thoughts on Fathers Day. You’re a wonderful example of the kind of person I’d like to be … I’ll always look up to you! Happy Fathers Day with love.
- Dad, I know I can always count on you to stand behind me no matter what, and to guide me with your wisdom and love. That’s why Father’s Day is the perfect time to let you know how grateful I am for everything you do. I love you Dad. Happy Fathers Day
And for wives looking for a Fathers Day Quote for their husbands:
- To my Husband with love. Thank you for making “family” such a beautiful word. Happy Fathers Day
- For my Husband on Fathers Day. I’m so glad we have you to love .. so glad we have this day to honor you! Happy Fathers Day, with love.
Fathers Day Gifts!
As I mentioned earlier, Fathers Day isn't really about the gift. But, as with all these special events, gift-giving is a part of the Fathers Day celebration. So, what should you buy your Father on Fathers Day?
Here are some Fathers Day gift ideas:
- Tie: Dad's just can't have too many ties, belts or other accessories.
- Fishing Gear: Fathers love to fish although my Dad didn't like it much when I hooked him in the ear!
- Wine or Spirits: Most Fathers have a favorite drink - maybe, rum, scotch, whiskey.
- Liqueur Chocolates: Dads love chocolates, cookies or anything sweet!
- Power Tools: An almost unlimited range of options: drills, electric saws, routers, nail guns.
- Garden Equipment: How about a top-of-the-line BBQ for Dad or a new lawn mower to make the yard work easier for him?
- A Book about his favourite Pastime: Gardening, bird watching, history, hunting, fishing, whatever his passion.
- DVD of his favourite Movie: See the suggestions above.
- CD of his favourite Music: Whether it is Box Car Willie, Norah Jones, Bob Dylan, no one should know better than you!
If none of these fit the bill, then take a look at Fathers Day Gifts, a broader range of gift ideas suitable for any father.
Happy Fathers Day!
I hope you've enjoyed this article on When is Fathers Day 2014?
Happy Fathers Day!