jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

A Christmas carol.

1. pavslastring profile image57
    pavslastringposted 6 years ago

A Christmas carol.

In the book and movie, I was wondering if the ghosts were supposed to represent someone or something, I figured the ghost of Christmas yet to come may be Death or the Grim Reaper. So, yeah, just wondering.

2. MysticPrince profile image77
    MysticPrinceposted 6 years ago

Hmm I guess you need to turn to story then the movie in order to think the other way ...what I believe is the Ghosts are just the personalized versions, as there are in poems. The Ghost of Christmas yet to come is nothing but part of implementation of realization of "shadows of what may be"..
    Hope this helps...

3. catchpennyfashion profile image59
    catchpennyfashionposted 6 years ago

They actually have various meanings, but mostly they represent past, present and future. The Ghost of Christmas past represents all the memories of the past, that's why it's depicted with a glowing head to emphasis the mind. The Ghost of Christmas Present represents all the values that are cherished during the present time and those that Scrooge has been lacking such as - Christmas spirit that includes generosity and empathy. Lastly the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come does sort of symbolize death. It is actually more the fear of death and the price he would pay if he didn't fix his moral issues, sort of like a moral reckoning.
    So together they all represent a journey of introspect, where Scrooge analyzes his past where he sees why he turned out to be the way he is, then sees the present and analyzes how his decisions affect others and himself in a negative way and then thinks of what his future might be if he continues down this path.

4. pavslastring profile image57
    pavslastringposted 6 years ago

Thanks, i've been wondering since i read the book. You guys both helped, you can never have too many opinions..... .

working