jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why Catholics celebrate Lent?

1. Sandra Tribioli profile image76
    Sandra Tribioliposted 6 years ago

Why Catholics celebrate Lent?

2. noturningback profile image78
    noturningbackposted 6 years ago

They are not the only ones. I will be giving up meat till Easter and I'm a Salvationist (The Salvation Army) This is a personal choice for me and not necessary to be/become a Christian (in my opinion) I am doing this as a sacrifce and a submission to God, an act of faith and reverence, but for each of us, as Christians, it may hold a different meaning or no meaning at all, as in not observing Lent. All Christians should have at least two attitudes: (one) Love the LORD our God, with all our heart, mind, soul and strength (two) Love each other as Christ has loved us, this second one is the stumbling block for many Christians and I have tripped and fallen myself. But we get up, we dust off ourselves and we continue on loving, both God and man, regardless of what they (man) believe.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I'm sure thaat you mean devout Christians, Lent isn't exclusive to Catholism.

4. WiseRabbit profile image81
    WiseRabbitposted 6 years ago

It has to do with the 40 days that Jesus fasted before his crucifixion. People are supposed to fast or abstain from something in order to identify with the experience of Christ.

5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

It originated as an internal body cleanse / detoxification of the body.  Every culture has this practice.  Lent is a bastardized version of this practice, as it is not very difficult and not very cleansing.

6. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Jesus fasted 40 days after his baptism. Christians fast during the 40 days of lent to prepare for  spiritually for the celebration of Easter and the resurrection of Jesus.