jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Should Halloween be celebrated in schools?

1. Silver Fish profile image84
    Silver Fishposted 5 years ago

Should Halloween be celebrated in schools?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

It always has been, So why not? Except Christmas this is the day children look forward to the most. They have no idea the meaning of halloween, And it should be kept innocent.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Halloween is a secular holiday.  There's no reason it shouldn't be celebrated in schools.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

4. securityproducts3 profile image40
    securityproducts3posted 5 years ago

Yes! Children see Halloween as the harmless, fun, and unique holiday it is. It's adults that take away it's innocence and make it something it's not supposed to me.

5. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Why shouldn't schools celebrate Haloween, more correctly Samhain, it is an ancient Celtic festival, much older than Haloween.  It celebrates the end of summer, the harvest, and five days later the Celtic new year.

Silver Fishposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately many schools don't. Here in scotland even non faith schools have a big church influence. Halloween is seen as something pagan and evil.

6. zsobig profile image81
    zsobigposted 5 years ago

It's a great, interesting and mysterious holiday, so yes, definitely.
    It was even celebrated in my school more than 10 years ago, and it was always one of the best parties in the whole year. It's dark and scary set makes it incredibly enjoyable, I guess this is the reason everyone I know is always looking forward to this holiday.

7. Kevin Peter profile image71
    Kevin Peterposted 5 years ago

Yes, it is really a great idea. It helps children to express their creativity by presenting unique costumes. Moreover giving a chance to celebrate it at school is much safer than going to any other place.

Silver Fishposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agre, it's a wondeful time for children. Not all schools see it that way though. Some feel that the sinister aspect is too serious to be toyed with.

8. earthmom75 profile image60
    earthmom75posted 5 years ago

The modern celebration of Halloween is nothing more than a day to pretend to be someting you're not, to try on a different persona, and to relish the joys of childhood.  As such, I don't think there is any reason it should not be celebrated in schools.  I think it is a shame that so many schools have adopted a no costume policy, as if imagination will somehow be detrimental to learning.