jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Is Halloween a government sponsored holiday?

1. peanutroaster profile image73
    peanutroasterposted 5 years ago

Is Halloween a government sponsored holiday?

Govt. Chris Christie postponed Halloween by executive order due to Hurricane Sandy.  So that begs the question Is Halloween somehow a government sponsored holiday?  What if it was December? Would government leaders postpone Christmas?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Halloween is not an official holiday. Government offices and businesses are open as usual and public transit services run on regular schedules. But, with the degree of devastation I think it was a given that halloween was not going to happen anytime soon in his state.

peanutroasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Christmas can be celebrated in ones own home while trick or treating requires door to door salesmanship not unlike the Mormon's or Jah Hova's.

Is trick or treating considered a financial exchange requiring a permit?

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, Halloween has nothing to do with Government. The trick or treating was stopped using common sense.

3. kathyinmn profile image61
    kathyinmnposted 5 years ago

I remember there used to be beggers night, that was day before Halloween, As a kid I used to go out on beggers night as well as Halloween. They (the goverment) put a stop to beggers night and allowed the kids to go out just on Halloween.

No Halloween is not goverment regulated, neither is Valentines day, Mothers and Fathers day. But it's a holiday that the people want.

Here where I live, kids have a curfu, they cannot be on the streets past 11pm, dose the goverment own the night?

When I used to live in a small town in Maine there were no cops and the kids were wild in the streets toilet papering anything that stood still.  Made a terrible mess.

4. Goody5 profile image65
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Halloween is simply one day out of a year where for a few hours in the evening, little kids dress up in costumes, and get a little bit of free candy. Today people forget what it was like when they were young, and make too big of a deal about nothing. The government has no business in this matter what so ever, and needs to worry about the big picture.

Halloween is also an economic force second only to Christmas now.

5. Life and Luxury profile image83
    Life and Luxuryposted 5 years ago

They postponed it because of safety issues only. And the gov't would only take an overarching step like that in case of an emergency.

Ahh so government steps in when our safety is at stake. Another good use of government.

6. brblog profile image86
    brblogposted 5 years ago

I wouldn’t even call it a holiday but it is a day (or couple of days) of festivities – for sure. As for sponsorship, towns do set trick-or-treating times so in that way, there is a sort of sponsorship. Mainly for safety and organizational reasons. Let’s face it, Halloween’s popularity requires a bit of government intervention . . .

Good point. Good Government protects our pursuit of happiness..

working