jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do you think making a new years resolution means you have regrets?

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

Do you think making a new years resolution means you have regrets?

I have made resolutions in the past, some tangible and some not.  But, then I begin to wonder what this says about our feelings about our life and our past.

2. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Sometimes yes. It is seeing what you could have done better, not entirely regrets, and working to improve it. It depends on the situations and what you believe about them.

ReneeDC1979posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks lburmaster for stopping by and your comments.  Hope all your dreams come true in 2013.  Keep hubbing!

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

No I don't think it has much to do with regrets as much as it does with the "psychological" feeling of having a (fresh start).
    Just like businesses most people want to improve over the past year. We set new goals for ourselves. If things didn't go well for us in the previous year we mentally tell ourselves that the new year will be much better and the reason why is because we are going make some changes or take what we learned and apply it.
    When it's all said and done life is about learning and improving. As humans we need something to strive for. "A life without dreams isn't living, only existing."

Thank you dashingscorpio.  I love that quote.

4. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

Renee:

In my mind a New Year's resolution does not signify a regret, per se, but rather that there is still room in my life for improvements. :0)

Happy new year's to all !!!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by CJ..happy new year

5. Blond Logic profile image99
    Blond Logicposted 5 years ago

Hello Renee,

I don't like the word regret. I prefer to use the word goal. Regrets are in the past , goals, hopes, desires are the future.
    Recently I have been reading a great deal about positive thinking and I now refuse to dwell on the past. I can't change anything that happened, I can only change my present and my future.
    Some people spend so many waking hours worrying about things out of their control and as such, miss living.

Happy New Year.

great comments Blond Logic.  happy new year to you.... keep hubbing

6. profile image0
    camillewagnerposted 5 years ago

Hmm, I don't believe so.

I've started making monthly 'resolutions.' They're more like habits or self-motivated challenges, really, which help me steward my resources well. For instance, in November, I joined with thousands of writers and participated in NaNoWriMo and wrote a novel in 30 days. In December, I started exercising every day, as well as completed (or, I should say, started) an extensive research project on my family's history. This month, my goal was to get a job (which I've already done), to consistently journal, to continue exercising, and to begin practicing my musical instruments again. By forming these habits at various times of the year, I avoid the pitfalls of most resolutions by consistently evaluating myself on a regular basis.

1. Blond Logic profile image99
      Blond Logicposted 5 years agoin reply to this

what a great idea.

working