jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are traditions made to be broken?

1. LopezUnleashed profile image84
    LopezUnleashedposted 4 years ago

Are traditions made to be broken?

How do you feel about traditions, specifically holiday ones?  I know that tradition and routine year after year creates something special, and I am all for it, especially at Christmas.  But isn't it nice to break from tradition and experience something new?  Where do you stand this holiday season? And why?

2. Sri T profile image79
    Sri Tposted 4 years ago

Traditions are illusions. They have no true existence. The world creates them at will for social purposes. The mind loves the familiar or routine. It is the path of least resistance. To do something new is refreshing. Everyday should be a celebration.

3. Jimmys Money blog profile image70
    Jimmys Money blogposted 4 years ago

We broke away from traditional Christmas dinner. A few years ago when we had very bad snow and -20 in Ireland we called to a family member on Christmas morning. We all had a hot whiskey (that turned into another....and another....and the craic was fantastic so we had a few more!)...No Christmas dinner was made and instead lots of nibbles were stuck in the oven and had a buffet. Instead of being stuffed after too much turkey and ham we ate when we wanted. This is something we continued and now have a buffet of seafood,meats,salads etc on Christmas day...Perfect (with a hot whiskey.....or 3!)..

Jimmy

4. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I think a blend.  I get tired of the same old thing year in and year out.  It's the years where you break with tradition that seem to stand out in my memory.  While valuing our ancestry and our past is important, so is enjoying oneself and the family we have now - and that sometimes means doing away with the humdrum expected stuff and shaking things up a bit. 

Last year we didn't have a Christmas tree for the first time ever.  Most of our extended family were flabbergasted, but we didn't feel like cleaning up broken ornaments and chasing the cats out constantly.  We still had a beautiful holiday without the muss and fuss wink.

This year I suggested getting takeout for Thanksgiving dinner, expecting everyone to laugh and roll their eyes.  Imagine my shock when everyone was like COOL ok! smile so we are getting takeout for thanksgiving next week - granted it's a takeout of the traditional meal lol - but I can do without the 2 days of cooking for one year.  I do it every year and I just wanted a break from it this year smile

working