jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Do you participate every year with the wishbone tradition with the Thanksgiving

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
    TheHoleStoryposted 4 years ago

Do you participate every year with the wishbone tradition with the Thanksgiving day turkey?

This is where two people simultaneously break the collar bone of the Thanksgiving day turkey, which dates back over 2,400 years, to the Etruscans.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8543817_f260.jpg

2. rainsanmartin profile image90
    rainsanmartinposted 4 years ago

I've never experienced a gathering where this was done personally. However I've seen cartoons and films with this ritual. You would really have to do some serious carving on Thanksgiving day too. I like to gradually carve each piece off of the bird.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

No. If I find the wishbone , I'll save it to dry for later tugging. I don't go out of my way for this tradition.

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
      TheHoleStoryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's what the wishbone in the photograph that I took is doing, it's drying. It's all but impossible to successfully pull a wet wishbone apart, and I speak from experience on this 2,400 year old tradition.

4. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 4 years ago

When we were kids we would fight over who should do the honors.  That was fun.  My kids like doing it too.  My grandkids, not so much.  They don't quite get it....LOL

5. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 4 years ago

We used to love this tradition when I was a child.  It was such fun to see who ended up with the bigger half. Now, I don't really think about it.

working