jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

What is with this "elf on the shelf" thing?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

What is with this "elf on the shelf" thing?

It's something new I've been seeing around this time of year for the last couple of years?

2. amiebutchko profile image87
    amiebutchkoposted 4 years ago

It actually is not that new!  My grandma had one when I was little and I am getting up there!!!!  But the tradition has been revisited in the past few years by marketers - they have now given the cute little elf doll a smart package complete with book and are selling it all over for, I think, around $25.  The gist of it is that leading up to Christmas, you hide the elf in the house for the kids to find every morning.  It might be on a chandelier, and then on the mantle and then it "flies" somewhere else when no one is looking.  It is basically spying on kids and reporting back to Santa.  Kids delight in it!

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
      DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I see.  I'd never heard of this in my childhood.  Thank you for your explanation.

3. zoey24 profile image74
    zoey24posted 4 years ago

I believe it is a way to make sure children are good before Christmas.
    The Elf sits on a shelf watching, and making sure your child has been well behaved.
    The story is, when your child is asleep, the magic Elf, flies back to the North Pole and tells Santa, how your child has behaved that day.
    This determines if your child is on the naughty or nice list.

4. JG11Bravo profile image85
    JG11Bravoposted 4 years ago

I don't know why it suddenly blew up, but they kind of creep me out a bit.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

In my opinion it is just another lie people came up with in an attempt to bribe their children into good behavior.

1. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Happy! Happy! Happy!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
      DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I kind of 'get' that as well.  When my kids were little, I didn't do the traditional Santa routine--I taught them it was just a fun game that people played during the holidays.  ;-) So they sort of had the best of both worlds.  LOL

6. karid profile image58
    karidposted 4 years ago

We have one and I have to say it may work for some kids.  However, my son does not react to it well.  If his behavior is starting to go down hill the threat of the Elf going to tell Santa causes a bigger melt down.  They do like to see him move around although he doesn't move much because we can't remember to move him.

Closed to reply