jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How long can people leave up their Christmas decorations before it becomes socia

1. LKMore01 profile image78
    LKMore01posted 4 years ago

How long can people leave up their Christmas decorations before it becomes socially unacceptable?

2. FlourishAnyway profile image98
    FlourishAnywayposted 4 years ago

If you still have it up on January 15, I want to shout, "Give up the dream.  Christmas is DONE.".  But that's just me.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image97
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

We just started taking our stuff down this past weekend, which is actually later than normal for us. Most of the trimmings/knick knacks are already put away, but my wife and I want to wait till my day off on Wednesday to un-decorate the tree itself and put that away (it's easier to do that while the kids are in school, so we don't have any little "helpers" around)....

As for the outdoor stuff, I only wrapped one strand of outdoor lights around our deck railing and they've been unplugged... so they'll keep till I feel like getting around to 'em. Depending on the weather, that may be in the Spring when everything thaws. Haha

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I think everything should be put away by the end of the second week in January. If a person can't get some of the outside lights down because of bad weather, that's not too bad. I sure wouldn't want anyone to fall off a ladder and get hurt.

5. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

I think the Christmas tree should come down soon, but waiting until after New Years is acceptable.  Outside lights depend on what part of the country you live in. A redneck may leave them up year around and nowadays every holiday is celebrated with lights.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I think people should take down their Christmas decorations when they are comfortable doing so. As far as what is socially acceptable with regard to this issue--I say who cares what others things. If you enjoy them, are not hurting anyone...keep them up until you want them down.

7. profile image0
    dragonflycolorposted 4 years ago

We tossed out ye olde Christmas tree a couple weeks ago, but our lights are still up.  They will be up until February.  I know this because it's happened every year for the last several years my husband and I have been together.  I don't take them down because he put them up and he needs to own his chores.  "Go ahead, honey, you own that chore.  You own you're little heart out."

8. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 4 years ago

Traditionally they should come down 12 days after New Year - the superstition is that you will have bad luck if you don't do so. Today it's really up to the individual but most folks have them down by 3rd January at the latest.

After all the energy expended at Christmas, Hogmany and New Year, I think the majority are relieved to get back to normal. Where I live, if folks still have their decorations up on say 6th January then they get some queer looks or are just thought of as being lazy!