jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

How long does your Christmas tree stay up?

1. Janis Goad profile image89
    Janis Goadposted 3 years ago

How long does your Christmas tree stay up?

Do you put up a Christmas tree?  How long do you leave it up after the holidays?
    --until Boxing Day?
    --until January 1?
    --until Little Christmas (January 6)?
    --until the days are perceptibly longer and the evenings are too light to enjoy the coloured lights before bedtime?
    --other? (please explain!)

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

When i was young, my mom left the tree up to two weeks to a minth

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

We usually take the tree and decorations down the first weekend after the New Year.

4. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

I would say usually until New Years, or you can keep it up for the Epiphany.  But we usually take it down after New Years.

5. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I am prone to taking it down right away because I get tired of shooing away the curious cats.  When everyone is on their best behavior we may leave it up until New Years, but it usually doesn't make it that long.  We'll put it up a couple of days before Christmas and then take it down pretty soon after.

6. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12082953_f260.jpg

Yes we always put a tree up and leave up until January 6th, what we Catholics call the Epiphany. The Epiphany is a recognized as a Feast Day and celebrates when the Magi reached Jesus...

7. profile image0
    Jessie Lee2626posted 3 years ago

This year ours will be up until after New year's:-)

8. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

All coming down this weekend. Tree will be out by tomorrow.

9. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Like connorj, our tree will be up until January 6th as part of the Episcopal tradition of Epipany. I was raised celebrating Christmas around religious traditions.

10. Janis Goad profile image89
    Janis Goadposted 3 years ago

It is so interesting to read everyone's comments and see the various approaches to Christmas!   Thank you for taking the time to comment.

I love to put up a tree, but for me Christmas has less to do with a religious festival than a celebration of light.  I live north of the 50th parallel, and nights are very long from October to March, so around Christmas it is dark by 4 pm and only getting light at 8 am.  I often sit with the Christmas tree lit in the evenings, and eat, read, write, watch movies, or visit with friends and only unplug the tree at bedtime.  I enjoy leaving the tree up until the days start to lengthen again, and it is still light in the evening. 

Sometimes it is March before I pack my tree away.  Happy New Year, Hub Pages friends!

working