jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Making a Birthday Cakes Fondant or Frosting?

1. chuckandus6 profile image75
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

Making a Birthday Cakes Fondant or Frosting?

Which One Do you use?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4853093_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Fondant is nice to look at and photograph. However if I wanted to eat cake and (enjoy) the taste of it, frosting is the only way to go!

chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree, It seems Rather Popular today And I love how it looks, but it seems Like building with playdough and tastes like it, too.

3. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 2 years ago

Frosting is much tastier in my personal opinion. Perhaps it's psychological on my part because fondant looks so much like play-food, but it tastes and feels weird when I eat a cake covered in it.

Also... this is *completely* snobbish and I fully admit that, but! My mom and a few other people I admire used to make elaborate birthday cakes for us/their kids when we were young, all of them using regular frosting. Fondant is basically made for shaping, so it seems a little like taking the "easy"* way to me and I'm more impressed by the traditional cake decorating methods.

*Though please let me add that I do not in any way believe that people who are creating such amazing cake sculptures out of fondant are having an "easy" time of anything! It's still a learned skill and creative talent.

chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Amanda Great point it does seem like more of a challenge to create a beautiful cake with frosting. Kinda like difference between Drawing a beautiful picture vs tracing

Closed to reply

working