jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How important is Earth Day to you? Should we honor the Earth?

1. CWanamaker profile image96
    CWanamakerposted 23 months ago

How important is Earth Day to you?  Should we honor the Earth?

2. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 23 months ago

CW.....Among many many beneficial outcomes stemming from the establishment of the first "Earth Day" in 1970, the U.S.  E.P.A. was created which in turn led to the Clean Air~Clean Water Acts.
    Establishing April 22nd as "Earth Day," just as any noted and/or important dates, merely give us cause to remember & think about what it all means & what our part is in the cause.

Of course we need to honor the earth if in honoring it we are helping to preserve, protect & improve our HOME/Environment for all living things.  Our very lives, health and most all standards depend upon our cooperation and concerns for the earth.

While great strides have been made, continuing efforts, ideas and new incentives need to remain a vital concern and support of better, cleaner, and more life-sustaining earth.

Happy Earth Day to all.......Peace, Paula

3. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 23 months ago

My local Unitarian Universalist church dedicated both of their services to Earth Day, including the minister's recognition of the work that the late Prince did in support of families in Oakland who wanted solar panels. As head of our Green Council I was one of the speakers, as were two of my compatriots.

One is an astrophysicist, who spoke of gravitational waves in space and the inter-connectedness of life that we're only just discovering physical evidence of. I spoke of the attempts of indigenous peoples worldwide, who are being pushed away from living in harmony with the earth by corporate societies like ours taking over their natural resources. Our other partner spoke of the action he's taking in running our local chapter of the Citizens Climate Lobby. And we all encouraged the congregation to take action in their own way to support the earth.

Yes, celebrating Earth Day is important, especially as a reminder that we're all in this life together with the rest of nature. Everything we do affects the web, just as we ourselves are being affected by it.

4. Happylovejoy profile image96
    Happylovejoyposted 23 months ago

Just remember..we need Mother Nature but Mother Nature does not need us..think about this and then ask again whether honoring the Earth is important..smile

5. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 23 months ago

I think it's very important that our kids learn that if they don't take care of the Earth, eventually it won't be able take care of us.
    Every year my town celebrates Earth Day by scheduling a "roadside clean up day" on the weekend. Lots of local organizations, groups and individuals volunteer to clean up litter from a section of road, then at the end of the day there's a big picnic/BBQ for the volunteers. (You get a pretty sweet free commemorative t-shirt too!)
    This past weekend I did my part by helping to clean up a local park and softball field with my son's Cub Scout pack. The boys had a blast racing around digging out junk and picking up bottles and cans off the roadside to be recycled, and my son later told me that it gave him a "good feeling" to help the Earth.

6. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 23 months ago

Earth Day is worshiping the planet as a deity, Mother Gaia.
    It is not a god(dess), it is not a living thing, and it is not a reason to doom people to energy poverty for over-hyped environmental apocalyptic stories that haven't come true for 50 years.