jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is there a difference between worshiping and honoring?

1. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 6 years ago

Is there a difference between worshiping and honoring?

Understanding the worshiping of false gods...etc...what of honoring.  Native American Indians, may honor the eagle, hold it in high esteem, but do they really worship the eagle?

2. profile image0
    Charles Hiltonposted 6 years ago

The equating of honor with worship is a common mistake. For example, Protestants accuse Catholics of worshiping Mary and angels and saints. But, as a Catholic, I know better.
    Even the Biblical God makes the distinction between honor and worship in his command to "Honor thy mother and father..." And if honor was synonymous with worship, then he would be telling everyone to "Worship thy mother and father..."
    Not that I get my truth from the Bible---my truth comes from reason and logic and facts, regardless of the source.

3. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I honor to those who had done good or great deeds for the society. Like the current GO GREEN to help and save the world.

I worship the spirit in God or Buddha that helps us to learn and know the difference between good and evil.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Definitely YES! We worship God as creator. We honour our parents for supporting us in everything.

5. anndavis25 profile image79
    anndavis25posted 6 years ago

Honoring something or someone is showing deep respect of what they represent. We honor our parents by obeying them.  We honor our religion by obeying the beliefs and rules. We honor the dead with memorials.  That is not worship.  Worship is a higher form of consciousness.  An identity with eternal realms that connect with the soul of man.

6. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 6 years ago

Yes, there is a difference.  Honor 'tips the hat' for worthiness to some person or object.  Worship takes the hat off, bows the knee, and says "You are my everything, what do you want from me?"

7. royalblkrose profile image58
    royalblkroseposted 6 years ago

this is a trick question. It cannot be answered without understanding what is on the mind of the persons involved, and how they perform the action.