Do you celebrate a flag on Flag Day?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. RTalloni profile image91
    RTalloniposted 16 months ago

Do you celebrate a flag on Flag Day?

Whether the shooter at the baseball practice chose this day because it is Flag Day or perhaps the President's birthday or has no idea of those connections to his crime we do not know, but the American Flag Day is an opportunity to consider ways our citizens can unite.

Do you fly a flag or make a special effort to celebrate being an American in some way on Flag Day each year? Do you embrace the chance to come together in spite of differences and appreciate the opportunities to work together for solutions to problems, or are you dismissive of Flag Day because of the current political climate?

2. gregas profile image83
    gregasposted 16 months ago

My American flag flies everyday and at night with a light shining on it. Just like Valentine's Day, I don't need a special day to show my love, not even for the love of my country.

RTalloniposted 16 months agoin reply to this

It's great to read your answer. Good for you! We know a few people who take on the responsibility that comes with keeping a flag flying year round. Do you celebrate this holiday in a special way? (I proofed the body of this Q, but not the title, obvi

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 11 months agoin reply to this

I had missed this. I was a color guard for my city for 2 years. the light shining at night is full respect. I was on call for inclement weather.
      I no longer see flags in my neighborhood without seeing those behind them. Thank you.

3. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 16 months ago

We sure do around here. Review of the Pledge of Alligiance. And of course the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. 7 red stripes - blood. 6 white stripes - purity. 13 original colonies. Now proudly 50 great stars for our 50 united and great states.
    Our great legend Betsy Ross. Francis Scott Key.
    And if we ever forget The famous Battle of Iwo Jima we do disservice.

In our home we have a very legal, very proud immigrant and a seven year old so the day has great significance.
    A good note: We live in a bastion of new age liberalism called California. And despite rumors to the contrary, every day our local schools still start each day with the Pledge of Allegiance with "under God".

RTalloniposted 16 months agoin reply to this

That's great stuff. Remembering that the flag has flown throughout the country's history is important. It is amazing to hear about California schools starting each day with the Pledge.  Do all, or just those in your district/county/region?

4. wrenchBiscuit profile image83
    wrenchBiscuitposted 16 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13571116_f260.jpg

No! I would never own, nor fly an American flag. Woodrow Wilson spoke many years ago of how the United States government had been hijacked by a shadow government. It is not possible to work together with people who continue to vote for one puppet ruler after another. I have provided here a very short list of my reasons why I would never fly such a flag. It would require at least a 3,000 word essay to cover the full scope of horror and evil that has been wrought by the scourge of Colonialism, and the history that surrounds the flag of the United States.

• The United States became "great" through murder,genocide, thievery, and the institution of slavery.

• The U.S. government has conducted heinous experiments on people of color throughout the years. One of the most infamous was the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment; an experiment conducted between 1932 and 1972 by the U.S. Public health Service. Black men, without their knowledge, were injected with syphilis in order to study the progression of the disease. They were never told or treated for the disease. The authorities simply observed, took notes, and watched them die.

• U.S. corporations continue to pollute the earth, air, food, and water for the sake of profit.

• Thousands of U.S. military personnel have needlessly died, not for the sake of freedom, but for the sake of oil and U.S. Imperialism.

• People of all races are being brutalized and murdered by the police, yet very little is being done to limit the power of these criminals in uniform.

• My parents were Indigenous. When they purchased a 200 acre farm in the Midwest during the 1950's white racists sought to drive them off their land with violence and intimidation. The authorities would not help them. They had to buy a rifle and a shotgun for protection. They actually engaged in several firefights with the racists until the cowardly Americans finally backed down.

• I am a Vietnam Era Veteran, and served six years.  The government reneged on it's promise of lifetime dental care for veterans. That was part of the deal when I signed up. But comprehensive dental care for all veterans was ended shortly after the end of Operation Desert Storm in 1991. I take great offense when ignorant people say, "Thank You for your service!" If the American people really cared about veterans they would spend money on dental care instead of bombs. There wouldn't be one homeless veteran living in the United States. It's nothing but lip service.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)