- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing»
- Creative Writing»
- Humor Writing
I MUST BE A DINOSAUR
Ladies and gentlemen, and fellow hubbers I have come to the conclusion that I must be a dinosaur!!!!!!!! I am totally out of touch with modern society and the mores with which we guide ourselves. I was never a suave and debonair person, but I was in touch with my feelings and very empathetic with all of humanity. Back in the 1960’s I played in a rock and roll band so I was a little bit hip. I was never a stud or anything like that, but I got my share and enjoyed my life to the utmost!!!!!!!!!
Today I find myself a lost soul and my life is plummeting into the abyss of despair and hopelessness. I am totally out of touch with modern society and I don’t know what to do about it. In my previous hub “ DANGER-DO YOU KNOW THIS PERSON” I spoke about being true to oneself. I try to live by my own advice but I am finding it almost impossible to do. I’ll cite the follow examples:
- I still feel like being a gentleman but I get confused how to accomplish this goal in modern society. After the feminist movement (much of which I agreed with) such as equal pay for equal work, equality in every area, etc, etc. I just don’t know how to act around the fairer gender (started to say sex but didn’t want to offend). I was taught by my parents and everyone important in my formative years to treat girls, or women in a special way. Today that may be found to be offensive!!!!!!!!!!! What an old dinosaur like me to do?
- If I open a door for a lady will I get a polite, “Thank you sir.” or will I get an icy glare or a comment like, “ Male chauvinist pig!” ?
- If I complement a lady on her personal appearance will I get a smile, or a thank you, or a charge of sexual harassment?
- I try to be civil in a discussion and I’m branded a wimp, if I am assertive I’m an aggressive ass, what’s to do?
Folks I was trained by my parents in ways of decorum and behavior. One example from my first grade year I had my first girlfriend in first grade, Peggy Kittle and she was OK but not my choice. I went along with her wishes and then I met Debby Hinds and I fell in love. Peggy had lost her front teeth anyway so I told her she wasn’t my girlfriend anymore. When she saw me on the playground with Debby, I could see the rage in her eyes and she cornered me between the school and the gym. It was the worst beating I ever had in my young life because I knew if I fought back my mother would kill me. So I took the beating and never even defended myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What can an old dinosaur like me to do in modern society? Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!