- Books, Literature, and Writing
What to write about - Subjects and topics you can write on and find your niche at last
What to write about is a question for many of us who want to become writers and make a living from the world of online writing. There are times when we all run out of ideas and topics to write on, and give up writing due to frustration and anxiety. Here are exciting areas and topics that you can write about. Read these tips and find out your very own writing niche. So let's refill those coffees, and get cracking!
Writing about travelling and reviews about places is quite in vogue. The world is getting smaller and travelling to countries around the world is not a luxury any more. People constantly search the web for places they can travel to and any insight in the form of a local's advice or a traveler who has actually travelled to a particular place is priceless. Whether you are constantly on the road or simply know a bit too much about travelling from hours of watching Lonely planet, writing about travelling can be your million dollar answer to the question, What to write about.
Tips to keep in mind while writing about travelling
- Anyone can look up Paris or Venice on Google and write a few lines so be more specific, don't be anyone
- Keep in mind that people might have budget constraints before you write about travelling tips
- Add your own travelling pictures and videos in your blog to give it a personalized touch
- Leave a link where readers can go to and find out interesting and valuable information relating to your travel write-up
- Remember that you write up can make or break someone's travelling experience, be considerate before you give travelling advice
Women and men both have found cooking to be a very interesting subject to write about. Gone are the days when people around the world used to flip through page after page of recipe books to search for the best dish they could cook up. With computers, tablets, androids and the iPhone at hand, users are searching the internet for delicious recipes they can try at home.
Tips to remember when writing about cooking
- Don't write about recipes that are too difficult to prepare at home
- Add your own instructional videos that can compliment and support your writing
- Neatly lay out all the ingredients and tools that readers will require before writing about a particular recipe
- Invite readers to give suggestions and feedback on your recipe
- Stick to writing about the type of cuisine you are familiar with
As the name suggests, self help blogs, websites or write-ups are all about giving advice to readers that will help on an emotional, psychological or mental level. Self confidence, self esteem, peer pressure, dealing with rumors and gossip, dealing with pain, dealing with anger, emotional troubles, etc are the kind of topics to write about.
Tips to remember when writing about self help
- Use your own experiences to carve a truly helpful write-up
- Think of real life examples that you can use to explain self help tools to your readers
- Acknowledge that your readers are genuine human beings looking for help, so be considerate and genuine yourself
- Allow your readers to ask you questions about the topic you've written about and back your answers up with credible knowledge
- Understand your target audience and write to fulfill their needs, not your own ideas
Fashion is a really hot and trendy topic to write on. Writing about fashion and fashion trends requires an expert insight into the world of fashion. From designers to clothes to fashion shows to models to celebrities and much more, the topics that you can find to write on are literarily endless when it comes to writing about fashion.
Tips to remember when writing about fashion
- Fashion is a subjective topic to write on, so feel free to give your own opinions rather than sticking to general norms of what is right and what is wrong
- Write on helpful fashion advice that will suit the fashion needs or a variety of readers
- Pictures are a must in any blog or website about fashion and fashion trend
- Tap into a global following by writing about fashion trends from around the world
- Tap into some serious affiliate marketing revenue by promoting deals and offers on fashion items
Are you a DIY master? Then you have a zillion answers to the question, what to write about. Many writers and blogger have been extremely successful at writing about their abilities or their knack of fixing and making things by DIY projects. Your writing can be about making your own jewelry, making your own backyard wooden deck, a DIY project on plumbing, a step by step guide on replacing spark plugs on a car or any other write up that you can effectively carve to help others.
Tips to remember while writing about DIY projects
- Your writing should be concise and direct so you don't confuse your readers
- Make sure you take lots of pictures during your DIY project and upload them as visual aids
- Write with the aim to help people, not to make your blog or website look good – Genuine DIY write-ups always score over flashy and fancy writing that virtually adds no value
- Make a list of materials or tools that your readers may need before starting the project
- Leave your contact details as courtesy so readers can contact you if you have any questions
Writing about one's one talent can give you never ending topics to write on. For example, if you know how to play the guitar, you can start writing guitar tips and tricks on your blog or website. Because your talent is your passion, you will never run out of things to write. The best part is that you will be able to focus on what you love doing, and fulfill your writing needs. Your readers will benefit by picking up tips that a professional writer who may not actually know how to play the guitar would not be able to give them. As an added benefit, your talents may even be spotted by a talent scout and your could become the next big star, simply by writing about your talents!
Tips to remember while writing about your talents
- Acknowledge that your readers may not be as talented as you are so make sure that your writing is simple and easy to understand
- If you are not able to fully demonstrate something, don't leave readers in the middle of nowhere and give them links where they can further explore
- When you write about your talent or skill, try and upload your very own video on your website or blog so that readers can get a visual demonstration if necessary
- Write about your personal experiences and hardships that you faced while learning the skill
- Learning a new skill or talent is difficult, so inspire your readers by writing a few motivational lines that give them a morale boost
Fitness and healthy living
Fitness freaks around the world are writing about exercises, diet plans, gym routines and much more which is the result of a constant urge for men and women to look attractive and fit. Healthy living has never gone out of vogue and many writers are taking advantage of the fact that in the day and age of technology, many readers are searching the internet for better ideas with it comes to exercising, keeping fit, eating well and living well in general.
Tips to remember while writing about healthy living and fitness
- Not everyone is as fit as you are so keep the physical and mental abilities of readers in mind before you write about exercise routines
- For a continuous reader following, promote ways to become healthy naturally, not quick fixes
- Add a personal touch by using your own pictures and video demonstrations
- Allow readers to continually interact with you with their questions on exercising and nutrition
- Keep your writing direct and precise because incorrect exercise movements can cause permanent injury
Writing movie reviews is a great answer to the question, what to write about, especially for all the movie buffs out there. We've all watched thousands if not more movies in our lives and if you think that you can write interesting and engaging movie reviews, you will definitely find an audience.
Tips to remember while writing movie reviews
- Don't argue with your readers if they say that they did not like the movie that you've reviewed
- Include a few facts about the movie in your review like the cast, crew and more
- Don't let your movie review be a spoiler
- Have an opinion, don't leave it for the readers to decide whether they should watch the movie or not
- Learn from the established movie reviewers and find out what makes their reviews special
If you like shopping online and buy most of your stuff online, you can start writing reviews for the products that you've bought or products that you have knowledge about. By writing about products and doing review, you can even start a revenue stream by displaying product links to affiliate websites like Amazon or eBay.
Tips to remember while writing product reviews
- Writing about your own experience with the product will be immensely helpful to the reader
- There is a thin line between writing a product review and making your write-up overtly promotional, don't cross it
- If pictures or videos can help as visual aids to demonstrate the use of a product, by all means use your own to add a personal touch
- Don't just write about the benefits or advantages of a product because readers will like to know if there are any downsides
- Tell your readers where they can find great deals
Writing about current affairs is much similar to writing for a news website or blog. If keeping up with the news around the world is your passion, you may as well as start writing about it. For all you know, your website or blog may become the first page readers tune into when they log in.
Tips to keep in mind while writing about current affairs
- If its news you are writing about, stick to the facts
- Mention other relevant facts from the past regarding a news item the readers may find interesting
- Engage your readers by asking for their comments or views
- Remember that pictures and videos are an integral part of any current affair write-up
- Maintain regular writing contributions if you want readers to come back to your website or blog again
Fiction is not an easy solution to the problem of what to write about. In fact, it is one of the most complicated ones. Many aspiring writers believe that they can master the art of writing fiction and fictional stories. Ladies and gentlemen, sorry to douse the fire, but you will not become a great fiction writer overnight. Writing good fictional stories requires much more than limitless imagination. What separates the men form the boys is not the level of imagination, but the ability to effectively transform that imagination into words and sentences.
Tips to remember while writing fiction
- Just like great horse riders know how to tame a wild and strong horse, learn how to tame your wild imagination while writing fiction
- It's very easy to get carried away with fiction and write page after page which may bore your readers
- Answer the question, how are you going to engage your readers in your imagination?
- Ensure continuity in your writing
- Develop the characters in your fictional story and let them grow in the minds of your reader
Addiction and vices
Writing about your addiction can be yours, and for millions around the globe, the strongest quitting tool. Writers and bloggers not only been able to strengthen their own stance against addiction but also help other readers into quitting their vices. Your writings can be about addictions to drugs, alcohol, tobacco or any other vice.
Tips to remember while writing about addiction
- Write about your own personal struggles
- Write about the resources you tapped to beat your addiction
- Inform your readers about the harm that your addiction caused in your life
- Write inspirational and motivational lines that will show your readers how a life without addiction is better than its counterpart
- There is a fine line between writing about addiction and inadvertently glorifying it – don't cross it
Poetry and creative writing
Do you believe you are a budding poet? Do your few lines have the ability to literarily move people? Are you able to portray your emotional situation in just a few words? If you've been nodding along, writing poems and creative writing can be what you write about on your blog or website. But before you cement this idea, take critical feedback from your readers and find out if they genuinely appreciate your ability to play with words. The key with writing poems and creative writing pieces is to get your readers addicted to the emotional roller coaster ride they go on while reading your website or blog.
Tips to remember while writing poetry
- Learn from other poets and writers but don't copy their style, be original
- Use genuine passion and emotion in your writing poems or creative pieces
- Write a brief introduction or an explanation about your poem
- Accompany your write-up with a picture that is appropriate to the theme of your poem
- Interact with your readers via comments and get feedback on how they felt when they were reading your literary masterpiece