Megan Faust profile image 78

Can anyone who has read Atonement by Ian McEwan offer some insight?

I'm to the part where the crime is committed and Briony makes her false accusation, and I'm having a hard time stomaching it. It seems unfair that this novel has garnered such immense popularity and won many awards when we live in a time where rape often goes unreported for fear that the victim will not be believed. It seems that those accused of such crimes often gain the public's sympathy while the victims are questioned relentlessly and still often doubted. Of course all stories have an equal right to be told, but this feels... irresponsible. Is this issue reconciled later in the book?

jjackson786 profile image96

Jennifer (jjackson786) says

• Megan Faust profile image

Megan Faust 3 years ago

I'm more concerned with the issue of the false rape accusation. My take is that victims of rape have a hard time being believed in the first place. This book only furthers the issue, or so it seems thus far.