jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

What is a good length for an e-book?

1. starme77 profile image87
    starme77posted 3 years ago

How many pages is minimum by your standards for e-books? Are there any rules about this on Amazon or other e-book sites? Any advice on entering the e-book market?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

If the book is short you have to make sure buyers know that in advance, or they will feel cheated.

3. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago

I haven't heard of an e-book page minimum. Don't think it really matters how short it is but if it is very short you should let your readers know.

4. starme77 profile image87

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking around like 2500 words would be good

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is an essay at best.  It will need to contain something extremely compelling to sell well at the Kindle minimum price of 99c.

1. MPChris profile image79
        MPChrisposted 3 years ago in reply to this

For what its worth, if I write anything 5000 words or less, I typically might give it away for free.  I consider it an advertising asset...tho you could sometimes sell such stories for cash to people putting together an anthology.

I usually price mine at .99 per 10k words (non fiction) or 20k words (fiction).

5. starme77 profile image87

Thanks, that is good to know I will attempt a longer version of the story smile

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If it is a short fiction piece you could consider doing a collection or anthology.

6. starme77 profile image87

good idea, that could work

7. psycheskinner profile image80

I think my shortest works are about 20k, at 99c to $4.99 depending on the demand for the subject.

8. starme77 profile image87

Do they sell well?

9. psycheskinner profile image80

Enough to be useful and pay a few bills, but not huge amounts.

10. starme77 profile image87

Hey thats all I wanna do haha - if I can pay my bills and eat at the same time I am happy happy smile smile

11. Jbern117 profile image76
    Jbern117posted 3 years ago

If you're putting it on kindle and selling it as a book, I'd say bare minimum 10k words (approximately 40 pages in print - the size of a super small novella or long short story) Otherwise, people will likely feel "ripped off" on their 99 cent investment

working