jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Should Amazon get rid of its five-star rating like Netflix did?

1. poppyr profile image94
    poppyrposted 6 months ago

Since Amy Schumer's comedy show on Netflix was spammed with one-star ratings, Netflix decided to take away its five-star rating system. Now you can just thumb up or thumb down shows and movies you watch. YouTube also used to have a five-star rating system, but has been thumbs up and down for a few years now.
    Writers use reviews as leverage and visibility, but there are also a lot of problems with that, which I wrote a hub about a while ago (6 Reasons You Shouldn't Do Review Swaps). Do you think Amazon should get rid of its star-rating system with products, books especially, as YouTube and Netflix decided to?

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 6 months ago

I don't see how having a 0/1 system fixes trolling problems any more than having a 1-5 system.  So perhaps I am missing something.

I find ratings helpful when looking for new shows to watch.  Like most people I realized that super-low or high scores aren't to be taken at face value.  But most shows end up with pretty accurate ratings, in terms of what the quality of the product.

Amazon has some good systems already to weed out trolls and paid supporters.  They tend to get into an abusive campaign pretty quickly and freeze things til it calms down.  I think that makes more sense than letting the trolls win.

poppyrposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Yeah I agree on the trolling part. Instead of putting a one-star, they'll just thumb it down, surely?

3. Rusty C. Adore profile image87
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 6 months ago

I miss the star ratings. My husband and I could always tell if something was going to be a good flick based on its rating, Netflix users were actually really reliable for ratings! 4 and 5 stars were a sure thing. 3 we knew could go either way for us. 2 was a risk and should only be watched if we are also planning to make fun of it and 1's we knew not to bother watching. This new up or down method and giving a % isn't working for me. I'd like it to go back.

4. RachaelLefler profile image92
    RachaelLeflerposted 6 months ago

Why blame the Netflix user for the fact that Amy Schumer sucks? Don't punish us because you're trying to promote an obvious failure.

poppyrposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Haha yeah I agree. She is convinced it was trolls.

working