jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

The Brothers Grimm?

1. RKHenry profile image77
    RKHenryposted 8 years ago

The Brothers Grimm?

2. LowellWriter profile image78
    LowellWriterposted 8 years ago

When I was very little, I was absolutely fascinated with a book my oldest brother owned. Though I wasn’t supposed to, I would always play with it, trying to read the words, but not quite getting it. Looking at the pictures and comparing them with... read more

3. It's just me profile image59
    It's just meposted 8 years ago

After spending my childhood in Germany and then moving to America part of the culture shock was in the way that fairy tales are related to the public. Believe me when I say that Americans have "cleaned up" the Grimm Brothers tales. The more Disneyesque versions only resemble the original tales.
    The two brothers did not originate their stories they collected folk tales from the peasants and made them popular to the more educated people of their time. If you read them in German or can get a book with a literal translation you can see that these stories were meant for young adults much like the horror movies of our time. Many were morality tales meant to warn young women from people who would do them wrong.

4. nochance profile image94
    nochanceposted 8 years ago

I have an old book that has the "original" versions of the stories and they are quite graphic. And yes the disney versions are very much cleaned up. I could hardly believe it. I like some of the original ones and how they end. I think they're probably better, though I do like the "fairy tale" of the disney retelling.