jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

proper usage of "regards to" vs. "regard to".

1. profile image44
    eygposted 8 years ago

proper usage of "regards to" vs. "regard to".

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

From this page:
    http://web.uvic.ca/wguide/Pages/UsInRegardsTo.html

"Use in regard to, with regard to or as regards. Better still, avoid altogether a phrase that smacks of business-ese and jargon."

3. Christina N profile image57
    Christina Nposted 8 years ago

I'd simply use "regarding" or "about" (as in "we received three questions regarding the budget" rather than "we received three questions in regard to the budget").

Of course, the other way "regards to" can be used is in the phrase "give my regards to Joe." In this case, it's always regards, not regard.

4. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Use "with regard to" when making reference (as within the text of a business letter).

Another option is to just "RE: _______" at the top of the letter/e.mail and separate from the body.

"Regards" has a different meaning, and could be used as a way of ending a business-like correspondence.  ("Regards, Lisa")   It could also be used as in, "Give my regards to Broadway."

There's also using it as in, "I regard this as a serious matter."

And, just a note (and example) on a somewhat related matter:   Regardless of what many people seem to believe, there is no such word as "irregardless".

5. Hub Llama profile image65
    Hub Llamaposted 7 years ago

Both of them should only be used in direct memos (those to a specific person) or letters, and then only when specifically replying to something that was previously requested. Even then, it is a bit of a hack. As others here have said. Just rework it if at all possible.

working