jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to write a first paragraph to grab your reader

1. Susana S profile image95
    Susana Sposted 8 years ago

How to write a first paragraph to grab your reader

Do you have any tips or tricks to creating that perfect first paragraph that will entice the reader to continue through the article?

2. HiAchiever profile image59
    HiAchieverposted 8 years ago

Describe the main benefit the reader will receive by reading further.  Your article should have the purpose of providing information or solving a problem. Let the reader know your article provides the answer or solves the problem.

3. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

Well, in writer's terms I think it would be called a "hook", you need to grab the attention of your reader. Obviously you have an audience in mind (unless you are writing for fun) and therefore, you want to "say" something which will intrigue that audience and put them in a position where they want to keep reading. Give them a "taste" of what is to come ... tease them. I think this would apply to fiction. Essays are more "technical" but I would resort to the same sort of basic logic.

4. nick071438 profile image55
    nick071438posted 8 years ago

BEFORE coming to the first paragraph,  think well of a unique topic that will captivate your target readers, then choose as well an equally unique and captivating title.  For the information of fellow hubbers, you may change or edit titles of old published hubs to refresh or reinvigorate them. 

This time create your "perfect first paragraph ..."  by incorporating in it the meat of your hub.  Make the 'meat eatable'
    by writing easy, catchy, interesting and related sentences.

Consider all hubs from the head to the tail  'obra maestra'.

5. scubadoggy profile image78
    scubadoggyposted 7 years ago

Start with the main key word or phrase in the first two lines, and place it twice if you can...

working