jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think error free writing is important to an author's credibility?

1. GoGranny profile image78
    GoGrannyposted 8 years ago

Do you think error free writing is important to an author's credibility?

2. FranYo profile image59
    FranYoposted 8 years ago

From my standpoint, any type of writing that is full of errors and typos of all kinds, puts me off.  I don't want to bother if the author can't be bothered to at least Spell Check the writing.  There's enough excellent writing out there to make me want to limit myself to reading what's well-written rather than time to read the dredge....

Good question, by the way!  I'd like to see more hubs from you.

3. Suzanne Alicie profile image56
    Suzanne Alicieposted 8 years ago

When you are using writing to communicate with others it is very important to make every effort to avoid typos and grammar mistakes. Spelling is another thing that can clearly affect how effective your writing is. Everyone has a typo or two that they have missed in their work, but it is one thing to have a small typo and another to have a whole article filled with errors.

4. TKarma profile image55
    TKarmaposted 8 years ago

Absolutely! Whatever you write has to show that you not only have imagination and motivation, but also a knowledge of the craft. Being a wordsmith is a profession like any other. A writer must be professional:)

5. GusTheRedneck profile image73
    GusTheRedneckposted 8 years ago

Absolutely.  Check this... I just reviewed an advertisement in which there was an article supposedly written by a scientist (a "doctor-type"). He explained that his product would rid people and environments of "Collumbella Mites.  He wanted to write "Collembola," not "Collumbella." However, there really is an insect (6 legs) named "Collembola," but it is certainly not a "mite."  That one has the common name, "Springtail."  You and I would call it an insect, not a mite.

"Mites have 8 legs and are related to critters like spiders and crabs, etc. 

Further, "Collumbella" is a class of critters you and I would call "snails," the kind that have shells like those you see on ocean beaches.

Now, if you knew those things regarding his misuse of "Collumbella" and  "mites," how much else of what he wrote would you be inclined to believe?

Not much, I would hope.

Closed to reply

working