jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Tips for writing poetry, i.e., structure, sugggestions, etc.

1. Dink96 profile image60
    Dink96posted 8 years ago

Tips for writing poetry, i.e., structure, sugggestions, etc.

2. Mr blues 2 jazz profile image68
    Mr blues 2 jazzposted 8 years ago

I like to take different experiences and events in my life as a springboard to launch stories. I branch out from there, adding color or whiting out which I don't need for this piece. I also use jazz music to set the tempo or cadence I'm looking for.

Since I focus on the performance side of my poetry, like in music, dynamics are important. try that method out. But, you can always try other ways for traditional rhymes,or, prose,. Haiku??

3. Blackbird profile image56
    Blackbirdposted 8 years ago

There is a great book, that I used in my Poetry class, called The Minds Eye by Kevin Clark.  It starts with the basics (what is a simile? etc.) and each chapter introduces a new type, a new poem, and ends with a lot of great exercises.  My favorite chapter is on surrealism, but he also has chapters on narrative poems, imagistic poems.  He goes over a lot in a very accessible way.

4. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 8 years ago

This hub article will cover three types of poems: The Japanese Haiku, the Shakespearean Sonnet, and the Song Ballad.  In essence, I will show you how to write each and hopefully, by the time you're through reading this hub article, you'll find that... read more

Closed to reply