How can your work get published in international magazines

1. AEvans profile image79
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

How can your work get published in international magazines

2. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 7 years ago

I was figurin I would post a picture of myself in a speedo and get some attention

3. profile image60
    foreignpressposted 7 years ago

First, study the magazine and its writing style. Then try to emulate that style. This means they won't have to edit your copy as much and they like that.
       Second, whatever topic you write on, try to ensure that it relates to the region or country you are writing for. If it's an international publication that covers the globe then you have more freedom in that area. Farmers in Russia would love to read about organic farming methods being used in Podunk, Iowa. But remember that the Russian farmers also want to relate to what's being written.
       Perhaps there's a German family in your area who is building an A-frame house using centuries old European craftsmanship. This is something a German magazine, particularly in the families' hometown area, would like to publish.
       Third, try to query the publication well in advance. Writer's Market lists numerous publications and the publication's guidelines for submitting copy and art or photos. You can send an article on spec., but your time might be wasted if it's rejected.
       One problem is getting paid. Online payments are making this easier. But writers who submit articles to a publication 3,000 miles away have little recourse if the article is published and they see no check. Dealing with reputable, established publications makes this scamming less likely.
       This is a very lucrative market if you can tap into it. Travel writing is most often mentioned, but any area can be written about if it relates to what the publication needs. Good photos are always a plus.