jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can I write a story that' s nonfiction?

1. silverwitch profile image60
    silverwitchposted 7 years ago

How can I write a story that' s nonfiction?

I cant' think of any good places or peoples' names'

2. PDXBuys profile image75
    PDXBuysposted 7 years ago

You can base a true story on your own personal experiences or on the experiences of another person.  If you have trouble remembering the details of your own past, then ask someone else (who has a good memory) to tell you a great true story from his or her past.  Ask questions about the details of the events.  What happened?  Why did it happen?  Who was there?  What did they think of the events?  What was the outcome?  Write down the basic story and then try to fill in more detail.  Try to think of unique ways to describe everyday things so that you add variety and depth to your writing. If there was a red car in the story, was it red like the skin of an apple or red like a beautiful sunset? After you have completed your story, try to have an experienced writer proofread it and offer advice.  Most writers enjoy helping others get started in the field.  Also be sure to read the non-fiction writing of others. Autobiographies, biographies, and true-life adventure stories are good books to read if you wish to learn the art of storytelling.

3. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Look for a subject that is of a true nature and is very interesting to you.  For example, you might find the assasination of President Kennedy an interesting topic but much to broad to fit the scope of the story you want to write. But, within that subject there may be some very interesting people and/or occurrences that work well. Two examples you will find in my hubs are "Clear Lake" and "A-Boom-Chicka-Boom".  The "Clear Lake" story is written around the death of Buddy Holly but it is written from the perspective of the impact that it had on Waylon Jennings' life.  In "A-Boom-Chicka-Boom", I write about Johnny Cash but from the perspective of guitar player Luther Perkins.  I think you will find this will produce some unique story opportunities for you in the nonfiction genre. Good Luck!

4. profile image0
    Emilyfedposted 5 years ago

First try reading non- fiction then use your imagination. That's how it works. Make a draft, a plot. Put the characters, its so simple. Let the words flow.