jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Prose or poetry? beauty in one and sense in the other ... what is your take

1. sofs profile image82
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Prose or poetry? beauty in one and sense in the other ... what is your take

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

You can have beauty and sense in both of these, I suspect.   Just been reading a few of the Hubs by Bronniew.   I found that Bronniew's works - the four I read, anyway - are both beautiful and made sense.   They are the writer's personal experiences, how the person felt and now feels about things; all the stuff a serious poet endeavours to portray through their intuition.

It is possible to write intuitively in this way.  Indeed, it is essential to your greatest writing.   When you're coming from a place of intuition, not thinking about what is coming up, the best stuff arrives through your pen or typing hands.   But it does take a certain distancing of yourself from the outcome.  Don't try.  Just let it flow.

3. sofs profile image82
    sofsposted 7 years ago

you've only spoken about poetry not about the prose in question... too prosaic to  answer... your prosaic answer shows appreciation of beauty.. so I guess there is beauty and sense in both

4. Jason R. Manning profile image84
    Jason R. Manningposted 7 years ago

I agree with Tom’s assessment of prose as it is my preference when I do write with heavy alliteration.  I prefer the freeform gravity of it because I do not like feeling locked within a mathematical equation.  I can respect and appreciate those who are disciplined in this trade.  Dante’s Divine Comedy is a master piece, but it is also exhausting.  I know my own writing may be limited in quality for the very purpose that I do now want to adhere to rules.  Such is life.

5. profile image46
    rmalusposted 7 years ago

Most of the poetry I write starts as free verse (the exception being when a particularly musical line sets off the process). But as the poem develops, it often reveals its own form. Words fall automatically into feet, and sounds reveal meter and rhyme. If this happens, I cooperate, and let the form reveal itself.
      I love form, but NEVER at the expense of content or impact.

6. Julie Simmonds profile image59
    Julie Simmondsposted 7 years ago

It depends on what I am writing! Often, a poem will just sneak up on me in the middle of the night, waking me in its power and urging me to write it down.

With prose, I have to craft it to make a compelling argument. It's interesting that Jason R compared poetry to a mathematical equation as I usually feel freer in poetry.

Check out my hub on the differences between the two: http://hubpages.com/hub/Prose-and-Poetr … e-is-order