jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I've been writng a novel on something that i happening , but I put it in a ficti

1. primpo profile image78
    primpoposted 7 years ago

I've been writng a novel on something that i happening , but I put it in a fictional story formatt ,

how can I write it without causing alarm to government or if I want to use the name something is that ok or do  I need permission?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Read Orwell's, Animal Farm, it is a direct political criticism of Stalinist USSR but written as farm animals.  Even so. no publisher would touch it until, 1948, because, I believe, we were allies with Stalinist Russia during the war.

3. rnbguru profile image35
    rnbguruposted 7 years ago

That should be okay. You shouldn't have too much trouble, look how many political thrillers are out there. As long as you give characters different names, you shouldn't have any trouble.

As for permission, this is a main reason to use different names for characters. Otherwise, you could get in trouble for falsely portraying someone, even if it is in fiction.

4. WriterStuckey profile image59
    WriterStuckeyposted 7 years ago

Hi Primpo,

your Writing about something that is happening or did happen and the out come is that it is in a Fictional Format,
    it's not Non-Fiction.

If your book is Non-Fiction ( Writing something based on Truth )
    I am Not a Legal Expert.

However, it has been my experience that. Instead of Naming the government, or  government official, :
    you would Describe: country, state, county, person or persons in detail.  ( indirectly depict who they are.)

a reference for you to call:
    Shelia J.Levine, Esq.
    210 West 101 Street
    New York, NY 10022
    Phone # 1-212-866-5353

Let me know how it turns out & when your novel will be available.
    Michael Stuckey.

working