jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Is it alright to read more than one book at a time?

1. 1150kaylamichelle profile image53
    1150kaylamichelleposted 7 years ago

Is it alright to read more than one book at a time?

It seems some people can do i quite easily but for me i always seem to start two at the same time but become uninterested in one and only follow through with one of the books.. Should i still keep trying?

2. sofs profile image82
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Each person is different. If you can focus on one better do that. That way you will at least read one book at a time fully. It is basically all in your mind, but i personally prefer to keep my focus in one place and get to the end of the task.

3. poeticColor22 profile image67
    poeticColor22posted 7 years ago

Personally I have attempted that, though what I realized later was that it was more so me trying to find which book intreagued me enough that the other was un needed.

4. Windsweptplains profile image69
    Windsweptplainsposted 7 years ago

I sometimes do read more than one book at a time. I will have one book in my room to read before bed and one downstairs for when I need some 'me' time. But usually one book will capture my attention and then I will carry it around with me.

Should you keep trying? I suppose so, if only to find which book of the two you prefer.

5. 1150kaylamichelle profile image53
    1150kaylamichelleposted 7 years ago

The most trouble I have with this is when school assigns me a book to read along with the one I'm reading in my own time. It's hard for me to read both.. I typically enjoy the book i personally picked so how am i supposed to get into the other one when it's assigned to read?

6. camlo profile image89
    camloposted 7 years ago

I'm usually reading one work of fiction, and one or more of non-fiction at one time.
    It's never actually occurred to me to read more than one fictional work at one time, because I 'live' in the one I'm reading until I've finished it.

7. profile image45
    tyrelleposted 7 years ago

yes it is as long u take turns reading it

8. svarun profile image72
    svarunposted 7 years ago

It is hard for me to read two book at once, because usually I read the book at once.

9. The Wizz profile image60
    The Wizzposted 7 years ago

I always have more than one book on the go. Several non-fiction books coupled with at least two fiction. With the novels one is for light reading on hard days and one has a bit more meat and meaning for other days.  Works for me cos I get to read a lot of popular books in amongst classics and more literary fiction. I suggest you do keep trying but choose books that you are really interested in preferably in different genres. For instance an historical novel with an edgy thriller. Good luck!

10. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 7 years ago

A long time ago I had a policy that I wouldn't start a new book until I finished the one I was reading. However in practice this would just force me to stop reading altogether when I found a book I didn't like. I refused to start a new one, but I didn't want to read the old one either. So I think it can be a good thing to read two at once. If one book lets you down, there is another to, hopefully, keep you interested in reading.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image95
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Of course it's all right!  Who would dare say otherwise?  I used to have as many as 3 books going at once, and I sometimes still do.
    Think back to school--we are basically taught to read more than one book at a time--literature, history, science, all had books, and all had simultaneous reading assignments.
    I don't see any difference between reading multiple books for assigned reading and reading multiple books for pleasure.
    Go for it!  HOWever, if it is not comfortable for you, then don't.  Everyone is an individual, and what works for one person may not work for another.