jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Not all books are worth reading. Do you agree with that?

1. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

Not all books are worth reading. Do you agree with that?

I heard this statement on NPR today and tried to think of a book that wasn't worth reading. I came up with a couple such as "Mein Kamp" but just because we don't agree with the ideas in the book, does that mean we shouldn't read it, if for no other reason than to expand our awareness of other ideas or learn some new ones?

2. applecsmith profile image79
    applecsmithposted 6 years ago

Good question, completely agree with you.

3. Happyboomernurse profile image84
    Happyboomernurseposted 6 years ago

I think that something like "Mein Kamp" can have value in that it can teach us that the words would be leaders and dictators say should be believed, even when they seem unbelieveable. If someone says they hate or want to eliminate an entire ethnic group assume they mean it. On the other hand, there will always be those who will agree with the hateful words and be incited to become a follower. So such books are like a double edged sword, but I don't believe they should be banned.

Many books aren't worth reading, or we think we want to read them but they don't hold our interest. I'll usually give it a chapter and if I can't get into the story or material, I won't read any further. That's why I get most of my reading material from the library.

4. puddingicecream profile image74
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

I also think that not all books are worth reading; some books aren't even worth publishing.

5. WindMaestro profile image61
    WindMaestroposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5206073_f260.jpg

I do agree with that. Here is a perfect example.

6. The Ghostwriter profile image74
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

Horses for courses! I'm sure my taste in books may not be yours but it doesn't make either 'not worth reading'.

7. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

It depends on whether you are asking is it worth reading or not worth reading in general or for you personally?

If you mean in general, then the answer is no, there are not any books that are not worth reading by at least somebody.

But if you mean for you personally, then yes.  I remember an instructor telling me that while you have to read books assigned to you for classes or work, etc. when it comes to you reading on your own time for the love of reading-for fun-then there are certainly books not worth reading.  If by the time you reach 50 pages, you just aren't into it-stop reading the book, he says.  when you read for fun, you should enjoy it.

Since then, I've always used that philosophy when reading simply for the enjoyment of reading, rather than for research etc.

8. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think every book may have value to someone, for education, entertainment or ???  Tastes are different and we can learn a lot about eras, people, ideas by reading something we don't agree with.

9. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 6 years ago

I agree. Not all books are worth reading. Sometimes the only value I find is to tell people  "For  the love of God.. DON'T READ IT".

10. wonderingwoolley profile image55
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

I don't think because we disagree with a book is a good reason. I think some books are published for political reasons or politically correct reasons, even if the content is bologna. Some books aren't worth reading because they have no plot or character development. Case in point- Of One Blood. I had to read it for some English class, and the author couldn't even keep the character's names straight. If the author can't master the story, how can the reader. Some books are not worth reading, but I think it is the badly written ones, not the ones we disagree with.

working