jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Any suggestions for the best way to get a debut novel published?

1. eilander1542011 profile image60
    eilander1542011posted 7 years ago

Any suggestions for the best way to get a debut novel published?

I'm about to finish my final edits on my first novel and I am ready to get it published. What are my options?

2. angel115707 profile image60
    angel115707posted 7 years ago

The best to me, is Blurb.com, its self publishing, but unlike conventional printer publishing, this costs much less, you can purchase one book....10 what ever and it costs as low as 20 dollars a book, now a novel with alot of pages a little more, but its not thousands or hundreds like others.... you also get put in their online bookstore and can submit a real published book to professional publishers or contests...making you look more professional too!!! Its the best site i have found, with their own book templates etc.

3. drbillfannin profile image58
    drbillfanninposted 7 years ago

Self-publishing will work, but you may go broke and crazy trying to promote the book. If you know you have a good book, try to get some reputable authors to read it and make recommendations in an open letter. Then, get the latest Writer's Guide and find a publisher who deals in your type of book. If they are OK with simultaneous submissions (sent to other publishers), send to at least 3 publishers. If none of the publishers are interested in your manuscript, you have some options. First decide if you want to wait while you send it to more publishers; second, get an agent to help you; third, publish it yourself.

4. Merlin Fraser profile image77
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

You say you have finished your final edits but have you had your work read and edited by a professional Editor and proof- reader.

You must try and make your work the best it can be before attempting to get yourself a decent literary agent who will sterr you to a publisher.

Don't be fooled this is not an easy task and you had better be prepared for a lot of rejection but that's the professional way.

The alternative of Self Publishing, is in my opinion a completete waste of time effort and money.  Sure you will see your name in print but that's about all you will get for your money and $20 a book is way over the odds.

If you want to sell your book you will be responsible for all the sales, PR and marketing which is extremely time consuming and expensive for very little return.

Take a look at some of my earlier Hubs on the trials and pitfalls of Self Publishing before making any decisions.

There are quite a few other Hubs on here on the same subject I sugest you read them they are written by wise heads.

5. Marturion profile image61
    Marturionposted 7 years ago

There is no substitute for determination.  Keep sending your work out, but identify the publishers that are linked to the type of book you are writing.  The Writers Market is your new best friend.  Go through it and circle all the publishers that publish your genre.  Highlight the ones that work with new authors.  Send to all of them.  Follow their guidelines exactly.  If they ask you to read their catalogue, then do it.  You will often find tips and advice that you won't get otherwise.
      Above all else, don't get discouraged.  Until you can quite literally wallpaper your living room with rejection letters, you are right on par with everyone else trying to get published.

Closed to reply

working