jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Has anyone published a book with lulu.com?? what will be the best self publishin

1. Heart Felt Book profile image79
    Heart Felt Bookposted 7 years ago

Has anyone published a book with lulu.com?? what will be the best self publishing company?

2. ladyjojo profile image61
    ladyjojoposted 7 years ago

lulu.com is a very good site but if you going the free way. you book won't edit and adjust good even if your doc was before you uploaded it. but it's easy to use etc. I once publish one but i unpublished it after. you get your own barcode etc. You can also
    try www.writersbureau.com and www.trafford.com

3. Solanwolf88 profile image58
    Solanwolf88posted 7 years ago

Another way to go if you are interested is to go to barnesandn oble.com. you can publish an e-book for the nooks they sell. its free, the books can be found on barnes and noble.com and you can make a profit off of it. the actual site is pubit.com, but it is affiliated with B&N and you need an account with them to start it up.

4. ahorseback profile image78
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

I too have looked a little into self publishing and would be interested in watching how it works. I often get  the feeling that theres not much call for poetry , but I can hope there is. Obviously we would like to make money doing it. Good luck though.

5. akirlew profile image60
    akirlewposted 7 years ago

I did a test with Lulu.com where I uploaded my book then ordered a sample copy and I was not happy with it.

I recommend checking out:

www.iuniverse.com or
    www.createspace.com

6. Heart Felt Book profile image79
    Heart Felt Bookposted 7 years ago

thank you so much everyone!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted..keep moving forward.

1. lyns profile image71
      lynsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

How is your selfpublishing coming alone??

7. classicalgeek profile image84
    classicalgeekposted 7 years ago

I wrote a hub about this very question some months ago.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/publish-your-own-book which has a link to a sixteen-page comparison chart of POD companies, as well as a link to the company all the POD publishers use, and you can use that company, too.

8. profile image59
    celticmelodyposted 6 years ago

I suggest getting a copy of Aaron Shepard's Aiming At Amazon and reading that before making a decision.   No matter who you go with, plan on hiring an editor/proofreader. (Check prices in Literary Marketplace against what self publishing companies - including Lulu.com charge.) 

Often you can find higher quality editing services at a lower price than what the self publishing companies charge.   Aaron Shepard suggests going straight to Lightning Source (which is who Lulu, Createspace, and others use) yourself.   Lightning Source is owned by Ingram, so you will be listed in their database.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Createspace and use my own ISBNs due this being Amazon's self-publishing arm.   

Regardless of who you choose, plan on having editing done yourself and getting your own ISBNs.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years ago

CreateSpace is much more user-friendly than Lulu and lite-years better the AuthorHouse.  I've tried them both.  They are more helpful and cheaper and you can be in paperback and ebook in one place.  One drawback is no hardback, but I suspect that will come with time.

I thought about buying the publishing package but decided if I learned to do it myself I could save that money on my future books.  I bet I've submitted 24 files in the process!  Having some pages numbered and others not numbered was a monumental challenge because you can only submit one PDF file for your manuscript as opposed to Lulu.  But that is a solveable problem (but not as easy as putting a man on the moon) and CreateSpace is so superior to the others in so many other ways.  Good Luck.

working