I am reading my text book, and I don't understand this sentence:

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. rachellrobinson profile image83
    rachellrobinsonposted 8 years ago

I am reading my text book, and I don't understand this sentence:

Neighborhoods characterized by transience and instability, Cloward and Ohlin argue, offer few opportunities to get ahead in organized criminal activities.

Maybe it's me but I don't understand that, I am hoping someone can explain it too me, is there something missing from the sentence or is it just me?

2. profile image44
    leveling kitposted 8 years ago

It is odd. The normal use of the word transient usually refers to homeless people or drifters. The sentence is odd, because you'd think an area that's being described like this would have a lot of organized criminal activity. But basically what they are saying is: in an area where people come and go a lot, there isn't really a chance for a group to organize criminal activity. Think of it like this: Gangs are like a family, they grow over time and solidify their presence. Since nothing here is permanent, you probably see more petty theft and break-ins vs. organized crimes like drug or prostitution rings.  Hope this helps.

3. Tirzah Laughs profile image83
    Tirzah Laughsposted 8 years ago

The sentence is awkward.  Here's my best stab at translating it out of context.

"Neighborhoods described as having many people traveling through (rather than being settled there) and an unstable economic environment leave few opportunities or advancement in jobs with the mob or organized crime."

Now why they said this, I have no idea.

4. peterxdunn profile image58
    peterxdunnposted 8 years ago

Such an area would have a bad (dangerous) reputation so people wouldn't venture into it to buy drugs. Transients tend not have any money.  On balance then there wouldn't be any money or opportunities make money in such an area and easy money is the sole objective of organised criminality.

5. Jeff Cavallaro profile image61
    Jeff Cavallaroposted 8 years ago

The prime focus of organized crime is to instill fear in stable and thriving businesses environments. The business owner has something to lose, so they tend to be more susceptible to threats against their business. If the police can't or won't help, they are more tempted to pay for protection. Those living in areas of instability or transience have nothing to lose, and also little to take. Therefore it makes little sense for an organized crime element to waste their time there.

6. Rogochuks profile image78
    Rogochuksposted 8 years ago

The objective in any criminal activity is to make money, albeit illicit. It stands to reason thefore that an unstable neighborhood populated by jobless, broke citizens will offer little in the sense of clientele or victims for a criminal.

7. weholdthesetruths profile image59
    weholdthesetruthsposted 8 years ago

The answers to this point are mostly right.   The author is saying that short lived neighborhoods with unstable populations don't allow for the formation of "organized crime".   

I suppose it's true.    The problem we have here, is that while it's probably true, it has no rational point.   It's like explaining that the streets run north and south and east and west, because people like the sunrise and sunset.    Yeah, we admire sunrises and sunsets, and some towns have streets that align with the compass points.   But there is no logical connection between them.   

The argument is saying that transient populations in financially and otherwise unstable neighborhoods offer few opportunities to get rich in organized crime.   One has to wonder what they're advocating.   What's the link between the two statements?    What IS the point of the argument?   Transience and instability prevent crime?   Or it's bad because it decreases financial opportunity through organized crime?   

I suspect that this is a game of semantics, and used to support a rather pointless theory - that being that social structure existing in a neighborhood CAUSES, or at least FOSTERS, organized crime.   The authors could not possibly be advocating for tearing down social order and/or social interaction on an ordered basis, nor could they possibly be advocating the chaotic dysfunctional neighborhood as an answer to crime.    The statement, in my mind, is met with a "so what?  Do you have some point to this exercise?" question.   

One can easily understand your confusion at reading it.  I had to google a while to gain some context on the authors and statement to make heads or tails of it myself.

8. sentimental profile image45
    sentimentalposted 8 years ago

"Neighborhoods characterized by transience and instability, Cloward and Ohlin argue, offer few opportunities to get ahead in organized criminal activities."
    It seems to convey the feel that these two shall try to get their things done in organized manner...This way of writing is making the flow of the thought. Do not get into grammatical composition, Transient has been used to just make fill of feel around...

9. internetparadigms profile image56
    internetparadigmsposted 8 years ago

first of all transience is a liberal word used to describe those who are constantly on the move. They have no real place they choose to call home, they also are not prime material when it comes to calling on someone to complete a task, no matter how low degree. Even organized crime demands accountability and they see crime as a business opportunity. Period.

10. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 8 years ago

It's an awkwardly worded sentence.  Probably trying to fit too much into one sentence.

My understanding is it is stating that Cloward & Ohlin believe that the neighborhoods with the least stability will be the ones with the least organized crime.

11. Christopher Price profile image73
    Christopher Priceposted 7 years ago

Nothing can gain footing when the ground beneath is constantly shifting.
    Similarly anything "organized" needs a solid basis on which to be based and to grow.
    Transients are inherently unpredictable and can't be relied upon.
    There will be plenty of crime, just not organized crime.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)