George Floyd: not a criminal

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

Once a criminal always a criminal. That notion has a limit or it is a foregone conclusion. George has served his criminal punishment already? What wrong did he committed again that the law agents should murder him? It is significance in the eyes of the law and the international community. Any discusion?

1. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Who knows the ways of the Lord? Judas betrayed Christ, Thomas doubted and Peter denied him three times. Yet Christianity produced many Seers and people willing to die for Love of God. Sometimes the Higher Law just has to be fulfilled.

There is a vision of more than 600 years of meaningless deaths due to slavery, oppression and injustice, even to this day, which has been catapulted to the fore. This is creating enormous waves around the world and has already started to see changes being made here in the UK and elsewhere.

My perception is that if one is just seeing one man with a criminal record being killed, then he/she is missing the much larger picture. It is the tyranny and greed in our hearts that we must look to, the callousness, complacency and indifference.

George Lloyd's death has created a catalyst for this inner reflection to take place. God works in ways which are not always clear for us mortals to comprehend. Much Peace, my Friend.

2. CYong74 profile image95
      CYong74posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm a film lover so the first name I thought of when reading your post, is director Victor Salva.

Salva was convicted of sexual crimes against one of his teenage stars, and thereafter served a reduced sentence. (He was paroled). After release, many did not forgive him and till today, you will still find movie viewers lambasting him on movie forums. There were even boycotts of the movies he made after release. Many also insist his actual jail was too short.

Vice versa, some movie viewers have questioned whether it is right to condemn a man after he has completed his legal punishment. Under US laws, Salva must be registered as a child sex offender, but does it mean he has no right to work again, at the job he’s good at? (As a horror director, Salva is reasonably good)

Personally, I don’t think there are convincing answers for either stand, as far as Salva is concerned. In the case of George Floyd, I feel excessive force was used during the restrain. How the world eventually address these issues will require a lot of patience, engagement, and compromises.

3. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Since you asked for discussion . . .

First, I disagree that once a criminal always a criminal.

Second, Floyd was not punished or murdered for his crime. He was murdered by a bad police officer. That is a difference that should not be ignored due to the public outcry to the tragedy.

George Floyd was not a victim of our criminal justice system, he was a victim of a bad representative of that system.

If you feel it is important in the eyes of the international community, then it should be discussed realistically.

GA

Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

GA, you're very much welcomed for your fine comments. I've point point out in one of my reply that the law has a hand in this-a mistake that need to be addressed. Elsewhere else, I opinied a legilature for blacks and whites to live under the law, instead of taking matter into ones hand.     Apart from this, I can sensed hater. For george Floyd alone and not for the black man. Goodmorning, and have a nice time.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

GA, you're much welcomed with your fine points. I'm reasoning  there is a mistake, a gap, in the law that the police were taking advantage of.                  I also opined that  George Floyd was murder not because he was black. We never will know whether these officers had a grudge with George during the course of the law? If the law cannot completely get rid of George, the officers have done the deed, thinking they can get away with the law on lesser penality. Thank you, and have a nice time.

4. Sharlee01 profile image84
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I fully feel criminals can be rehabilitated. And yes he had served time for multiple crimes. --- Floyd had been sentenced to five years in prison in 2009 for aggravated assault stemming from a robbery where Floyd entered a woman’s home, pointed a gun at her stomach, and searched the home for drugs and money. He was killed while in the progress of petty crime.

He committed no crime against the "law agent" that killed him.  It was alleged he was in the process of committing a crime which brought him in contact with a policeman that used brutality, which led to his death.  His fate led him once again to a confrontation with the police.  If  George would have lived, and been once again arrested he would have been given the benefit of being heard, justice would have been doled out if found guilty, and he would have been punished or set free.

He was killed at the hands of another,  the policeman that killed him will be heard, a trial, the court will see justice is done.  Floyd as a victim will have justice although posthumously in the end.  The policeman that killed him will be punished just as Floyd would have been punished if he had committed the crime he was accused of.

The community has laws and in the case of Mr. Floyd --- while he was being arrested for allegedly breaking the law, the very policeman that arrested him broke the law by taking his life.

We will never know if Mr. Floyd would have eventually found the right path.  And it's very sad, tragic,  because it appears he was well-loved by his family and friends.

Sharlee0, I can agreed with you that George Floyd was well loved by many. That can be easily his undoing or confidence to commit more crimes? What was the petty crime that he tried committed again that warrant his murder? I want to know. The world needs to know.       Make no mistake about it. I hope the police as a body will avoid the silly and costly errors George's murderers made. It really pays nobody any good by exchanging the crime done by one criminal for another. I am enjoying the weekend here. Extending same to you.

1. Sharlee01 profile image84
          Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I feel his life will mater really, his death will bring about much-needed change. President Trump has promised to unveil a set of proposals for policing reform as early as thisThursday.  He has actually done a lot to promote better lives for not only black people but all Americans, school choice, prison reform, and STEM programs, and more, this goes unnoted and in many cases criticized for not being enough. In my opinion, it's more than many other presidents accomplished to help blacks.

But, he's a president that is hands-on and works quickly. Hopefully Thursday we will see some progressive policies put forth.  Policies that will be implicated quickly, not forgotten, and swept under a carpet of just promises like so many before .

Sharlee0, thans for the information.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Manatita, you're welcomed. But the point is what crime George committed again that he was murdered? He has alreay served a court sentence. What crimes does he commit again? I think hater can be infer?

3. Uriel Mbobda profile image85
    Uriel Mbobdaposted 3 years ago

To the question as to whether Mr. Floyd committed a crime that warranted murder by a police officer, the straightforward answer is No. I am a barrister and solicitor in two common law jurisdictions, and I know that the presumption of innocence is fundamental to any common law system of justice. By that principle, every person suspected/accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty. It is on that premise that prolonged incarcerations without judgment, for instance, are considered, among other things, a breach of the presumption of innocence. Even a crime dubbed "flagrante delicto" must still be judged and the perpetrator must receive a sentence before any punishment can ensue. If the police officer's actions had not resulted in a murder, they would have still been unlawful if they were meant to inflict punishment on a person merely suspected of a crime.

Uriel, you'll welcomed. The police officers seems to know the law? But why go above the law?

4. Miebakagh57 profile image69

CYong7, have you ever heard of the name, Jenne Dake? His crime?  Sexual abuse of an underage teenager girl that was mentally unsound! He serves a reduced court sentence. But when he was out of prison, people did not forgive him. He was a minister of the Bible and a white man. Why did not his fellow whites dislike him, abuse, asault or kill him? But the tide is always against the black man. Why?

5. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 3 years ago

Miebakagh57, I should highlight the guy I mentioned was white too. People certainly did stigmatize him after his release.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is also, released criminals of all races suffer from this. As a Chinese, I assure you it happens in my race too.

In the case of George Floyd, it's as GA Anderson said, he was not murdered for his previous crime. He died because of a bad cop who used and continued to use excessive force. I do not deny that US police forces must immediately address such conduct. Neither do I deny the discrimination Afro-Americans suffer on a daily basis. However, it is important, to me, to acknowledge the finer details of the Floyd case.

Cyong7, welcome home. You have clarified many things.                   I can agreed with you the police use execessive force. George Floyd has already been subdue, right? They is no doubt about that when he was pinned to the earth. This reasonable force is what the law give the police leave, even if, George resist arrest.                    Then, the good thing the police should done-the only good thing is to away their captive. But why execessive force? Why?                              Cyong7, my other problem here is how to pronounce your Chinese name. Is it as in English "young?"                         i am reasoning that there is a lacuna within the frame work of the law that compel the police to take advantage of. Thank you. Goodmorning and enjoy the day.

6. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 3 years ago

Hi Miebakagh57. CYong74 is not my Chinese family name. That's just an acronym based on my true name. smile

CYong74, got it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)