jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

While writing, have you had your characters rebel against you?

1. LillyGrillzit profile image79
    LillyGrillzitposted 7 years ago

While writing, have you had your characters rebel against you?

You are inspired with a story, as the characters form beneath your pen (keyboard, pencil, keys), they take on their own lives, looks, attitudes and other things? Do you corral them, or let them have their liberties?

2. Challah1202 profile image58
    Challah1202posted 7 years ago

Yes!  It's kind of like when you have a child and find out he is not just an extension of you.  They have this personality with needs and desires that you cannot control.  Of course, you created the character, but you are stuck with the characteristics you put in them, and you can't always manipulate them the way you want.  That's true for children and characters.

Good luck!

3. inspiredbydg profile image57
    inspiredbydgposted 7 years ago

Certainly as the spell checker discovers what I am saying and decides to help they sometimes become the anomaly.

4. purpleangel47 profile image60
    purpleangel47posted 7 years ago

Let them have their liberties. Especially in the beginning of the story when you're still trying to see where the story's going. But even down the line, I like the idea of the story taking shape - and me staying out of it. I find that the best way to actually see what story I'm supposed to be telling. I don't want it to be mine. I want it to be theirs. (Oh, and I hate control!) smile

5. profile image0
    DramaticDruidposted 7 years ago

By allowing your characters to speak to you, you're creating natural depth to them; making them more believable. We (as authors) will subconsciously imbue the characters with real qualities from ourselves, our loved ones, and people we've interacted with. It's a great way to develop a character, but it is also important to command the story towards the outcome you desire.

It's like throwing a vase on the potter's wheel, the creativity of the shape can inspire a different design than you started with, but you still have to center and firmly control the clay-- else it will spin to ruin.