jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

I have a short story that I like a lot but a few people tell me doesn't make sen

1. Christopher Floyd profile image59
    Christopher Floydposted 7 years ago

I have a short story that I like a lot but a few people tell me doesn't make sense. I want to...

post it to Hubpages to get some further feedback, but don't want to because a publisher won't want it after its been online. What would you do?

2. Sky321 profile image75
    Sky321posted 7 years ago

you can email it to a few people for opinions.

3. womenintouch profile image60
    womenintouchposted 7 years ago

I think you should follow your heart if you like the story you should run with it. Find a group of non -family and friends and have a focus group and see what they think. Have them fill out a form at the end with comments you can ponder at a later time.

4. C.V.Rajan profile image77
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Please check this first. How many publishers are really interested in short stories nowadays?

5. Jarn profile image82
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

Ignore C.V.Rajan, Christopher. I have published 10 short stories in the last year and am currently receiving a great deal of interest in a book compilation of short stories. They are an excellent way to hone your skills and build your CV before approaching a literary agent.

Publishers will not be interested in a story if you've already posted it. However, you can simply delete the page once you've received all the feedback you're looking for and there's a pretty darn good chance a publisher would never know. I've done it more times than I can count.

6. mariteslausin profile image60
    mariteslausinposted 7 years ago

You need to love yourself and believe on your work. If you don't want it online, then send it to your friend's email and let them criticize of praise your work. Please consider their opinion.

Send it to 20 of your friends. If 15 of them, tell you that it doesn't have any sense, revised it.

7. Christopher Floyd profile image59
    Christopher Floydposted 7 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I had thought about posting it and then deleting it, but I think for now I'm gonna pass it around a bit. A fellow hubber was nice enough to offer to read it, so thank you to you know who you are.
    I'm not worried about some kind of publishers' decline in interest in short stories. I have a subscription to Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine. I don't think they are going anywhere. I could sit here for hours listing other outlets for short stories. Personally, I think the only ones in jeopardy are the illiterati "Lit" magazines who publish the most BORING of material. Witness the Oxford American.
    I won't single anyone out, but again, thank you to everyone for your words and encouragement.

Closed to reply

working