jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think paperback and hardcover novels are on their way out?

1. nell79 profile image79
    nell79posted 7 years ago

Do you think paperback and hardcover novels are on their way out?

I'm still old-fashioned and love to hold a book in my hands (and even love the smell of a new one haha). But with the rising popularity of e-books and hand-held reading devices (i.e. Kindle), I'm wondering if this means that paper-copy books will be left in the past. What do you think?

2. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 7 years ago

I think they are almost becoming a collectors item! There will always be a market (or at least for the next 20 years) for paper books, because plenty of people still prefer them. However, with the newer generations who are all digital, it's not hard to foresee a future with no paper books... scary!

3. ExpandYourMind profile image73
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

I believe I will always prefer a paperbook to an e-version.  I, also enjoy holding and reading it.  However, the current e-readers are cutting into the marketplace and 50 years from now, you may gather curious stares if you are reading from a paper or hardback book.

4. hoodieweather profile image58
    hoodieweatherposted 7 years ago

Nope. Not at all. Same reason why people still buy records. smile

5. NateSean profile image74
    NateSeanposted 7 years ago

Nope. For two reasons.

1: Books in paperform will always be cheaper than a Kindle and easier to replace.

2: You can't get a Kindle autographed.

6. Rain Defence profile image92
    Rain Defenceposted 6 years ago

I hope not. I prefer paper books and although I do spend time reading stuff on a monitor, when it comes to fiction I will always read a proper book. I have tried e readers, but I just don't like them.
    I think there'll always be a market for them, at least in our lifetime.