jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I've run into a writing dilemma. I'm writing about an ancestor but don't have qu

1. jonihnj profile image73
    jonihnjposted 7 years ago

I've run into a writing dilemma. I'm writing about an ancestor but don't have quite enough info.

and never will to make it a pure biography as he was quite enigmatic (e.g., I will have to imagine some scenes, dialogue, etc.). Plus, I want to include some of the more unusual experiences I've had researching the book, as well as some theories I've developed, so I would be inserting the author into the work. My theories could be wrong, but they're mine and I have a hunch they're right. So, how would you handle such a dilemma? What genre would such a book fall into? Be nice! smile

2. workingmomwm profile image84
    workingmomwmposted 7 years ago

It sounds like you basically have an historical novel there based on fact (like Roots or any work by Anya Seton). As far as inserting yourself into the book, I don't think you'd have to do that in the main text itself. Just write an author foreword (or afterword), and tell about your research experiences and any theories that aren't put forward in the text in that.

3. W. K. Hayes profile image93
    W. K. Hayesposted 7 years ago

Hi, I had to read this several times to take it all in...truthfully, write from your heart and label is as being, "Inspired by true events" or "Based on true events". Should a biography of George Washington exist, it is assumable that much of it would have to be made up, within reason, of course.

Also, the best way to include the, 'Author', would be to show how this person's life has affected that author, in a reflective manner, show the impact.

As for conjecture, perhaps it would be wise to only use conjecture in a way that keeps the story moving. Although, if you use my first suggestion, then any conjecture you make should be acceptable, within reason of course.

I hope this helps you some. W. K.

4. overchanger profile image61
    overchangerposted 7 years ago

The Mormon Church hold archives on past ancestry of relatives,
    You'll have to check them out if you'd like,
    I know they have legnthy archives illustrating what your imposing.

5. jonihnj profile image73
    jonihnjposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I'll have to thank my HubPages advisors in the acknowledgements section, as the advice I'm finding here is so helpful!